Reaping the benefits of momentum? (video included)

Hey everybody I was fiddling around with something I believe Roger told me a little while back which was that you need to get the hips going sooner to gain more momentum and then abruptly brace the front leg and explode over it. While not going to the Dick Mills extreme, I was kind of modeling after Whitey Ford’s mechanics in an effort to gain more momentum. Many people have told me that a quicker, simpler delivery will leave less time for you to screw up, and I hoped that this delivery would fix my problem with flying open as well. Sadly, I still flew open after some experimenting, although it seems that my front leg and usage of momentum were no longer an issue. There may be a bit of rushing as well (not getting arm up at landing). Anyway, I basically wanted to know what everybody thought of these mechanics, THESE ARE NOT MY NEW MECHANICS, they are an experiment to see if I could solve a couple issues while becoming more explosive. It feels pretty smooth and explosive, but I want to hear some more opinions. Thanks so much.

I say stick with it for a while to give it a chance and see if you can get comfortable with it.

Looks like you’ve traded a higher knee lift for taking the foot back towards 2B. And that’s fine. What’s important is the time that the foot is in the air - you don’t want to sacrifice that.

BTW, I don’t really see you flying open much in those videos. But I think the key to fixing this is to make sure you get your glove arm into equal and opposite at front foot plant. That’s critical to your timing and being able to delay shoulder rotation.

Ya you’re building a lot more momentum which is good. The flying out issue I believe as roger said has to do with your timing. Your glove and front foot need to work in unison. I know this is an experimental clip, but your front foot is about to land and your glove is lagging way behind. This will cause you to fly open because in an effort to “catch up” and square up your body to throw you will almost have to pull the glove to the side rather than it already being out front and having something to firm up and throw against. See this clip of Clemens and watch how his glove and front foot work together and then how his glove firms up out front.

by equal and opposite at landing, do you just mean my glove arm needs to be pointing towards home plate?

DON’T DO THOSE MECHS. I see a huge timing problem, worse than rick ankiel or kerry wood. Get your arm up earlier

I’m not too familiar with the Tom House terms and I believe that “opposite and equal” is one of his terms. From what I understand of it, it describes the fact that at landing there should be some degree of symmetry between the arms as the scaps are pinching. It’s hard to describe. I believe this picture of smoltz says it better than I can in words. If you were to draw a line right down the middle of his back you would see that each arm is almost a mirror image of the other. This is an indication of good timing.

Opposite and equal means that the angle at the elbow is the same in both arms. If the throwing arm extends straight back then the glove arm should extend straight forward. If the throwing arm remains bent then the glove arm should be bent the same amount.

The orientation of the arms can differ. Thus, one arm can bent up and the other down, one up and the other horizontal, both up, both horizontal, etc.

Also the hands should be oriented in a way that mirrors each other. If you show the ball to 2B, then you should probably point the glove at home plate. If you hook the throwing hand, you should hook the glove. If you turn the throwing hand thumb down, you should turn the glove hand thumb down.

It’s really important to understand that opposite and equal needs to be achieved at front foot plant. It doesn’t need to be held there for any length of time. In fact, it’s not really a static position as much as it is a momentary position the arm passes through. But it needs to pass through this position at front foot plant. Doing so will cause the glove side to take enough time that it gives the back side time to stay closed.