Really?

http://www.pitching.com/articles/view/36-important-facts-about-baseball-pitching-you-should-know/

Anyone disagree with a majority of these things? Dont know if this is a repeat at all.

Load of BS. :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter: :bsmeter:

Disagree with all except: 12, 33. I kinda of agree with some of them about strengthening, drills and stretching. The improper strengthening, stretching, and drills can be a waste of time. However, doing these the right way can be very useful.

Makes you think. Does he truly believe these things? Or is this money talk

I don’t disagree with everything he says. You can generate more power with a faster motion but it takes a lot of athletic ability to do so. You wouldnt just want to tell a young kid to go through his motion as fast as he can with out teaching him how do to it slow first.

AGREE:

Throwing and pitching are two completely different activities.
The faster you move the faster you throw.
Trying to stay tall in the pitching delivery reduces velocity and control.
Throwing fewer pitches in practice produces more not less injuries.
Smaller pitchers do not have less inherent stamina than larger pitchers.

DISAGREE:

Everything else, except that long toss does put more stress on the arm and body, but that would be the point of doing it.

Mills is an idiot.

Bigger pitchers are not less likely to get injured than smaller pitchers.

Smaller pitchers do not have less inherent stamina than larger pitchers.

Both those are correct.

Flexible tubing exercises do not improve velocity or reduce arm injuries.

That is completely wrong, talk to any physical therapist. Your rotator cuff is a muscle that can be strengthened. If its strengthened it can reduce injury, simple as that.

My dad and I just read over that thing together and shared a good laugh.

Is this a joke? I’m living proof that some of those “facts” are complete crap.

A perfect example of a guy who talks through his tuchis.
Consider: Mills’ “experience” consists of 2 2/3 innings of relief with the Red Sox near the end of the 1970 season in which he walked three and struck out three and gave up four hits and had no decisions. He reminds me of the story about a major league GM who had heard about a certain pitcher who was supposed to be something spectacular. He sent a scout to watch this pitcher, who turned out to be something spectacularly horrible. He wired back to his major league boss: "So-and-so pitched one game for me and I’m satisfied."
And so Mills set up shop as a pitching “instructor”. Pitching “nincompoop” is more like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Hoysauce”]http://www.pitching.com/articles/view/36-important-facts-about-baseball-pitching-you-should-know/

Anyone disagree with a majority of these things? Dont know if this is a repeat at all.[/quote]

At least half of these things are wrong.

As a result, the whole list should just be disregarded.

I think Mills has some okay ideas at times but I think he gets too caught up with being a “pitching rebel” he finds anyway he can to attack conventional wisdom simply because it’s conventional wisdom. That’s just my evaluation of him.

there has to be some truths in there or he wouldn’t have a following.

So Chris, you wouldn’t buy his stuff…it doesn’t mean there isn’t redeemable knowledge to be discerned…heck I wouldn’t recommend someone giving you cash money for your “analysis” either but apparently you do all right with it…and it’s not to say that I don’t think some of your thoughts aren’t of potential benefit…I certainly wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water…a small example of this are your efforts at prognostication of injury based on still pictures (If you are more than half wrong should a person disregard your assistance???), but I’ve seen and heard kids and adults testify to being helped by you…so there you go…Obviously it can happen and does.
Mills is who he is, I can’t have a problem with a guy who will give his personal attention to a student and allow them to come and stay near his home and work personally with them, integrity means alot, particularly if used in the instruction/mentoring of a kid…if, like Dusty said, he got no results he wouldn’t be in business. That said, he isn’t my cup-o-tea either per say…I’ve found good results another way, just as you believe what you do is more constructive/productive…I have though more thouroughly considered his ideas of momentum and it’s uses in the model I use to train…but I am more in step with Paul Nyman and House in how best to produce productive force in delivery. My teachers, who have been successful professionally (In coaching) and they have placed players into the professional ranks, have made me a believer in conditioning and drill work so his admonishments ring hollow to me.
I think his 36 can be condensed down to a simple statement…“I think a pitcher does best when not spending time away from serious mound efforts”.
I mean beak it down, he hates drills and conditioning, thinks the only “practice” effort should be full force effort from a mound (I wonder what happens in the case of someone like Munster, whose kid won’t see a real mound for some time).
The rest is a full endorsement of using the most momentum a persons body can use.
The op was about those 36 and not “lets bash Mills” yet again so I guess my last thought would be momentum is a good component to a pitchers delivery.

“Consider: Mills’ “experience” consists of 2 2/3 innings of relief with the Red Sox near the end of the 1970 season in which he walked three and struck out three and gave up four hits and had no decisions.”

regardless of how many innings he threw in the bigs, his “experience” by just getting there is very high. those 2 2/3 innings is 2 2/3 more than 99% of anyone who ever throws a baseball will get.

mazzone and lasorda didn’t pitch much in the big leagues and they are both extremely influential. if you use that logic why would you listen to me, chris or paul nyman. none of us played in the big leagues. is that a prerequisite to being effective. the best hitting instructor i ever had who was the hitting coordinator for the dodgers for 6 years never made the big leagues (was a first rounder who got injured). wolforth never pitched in the bigs either.

when i was first learning on mechanics and getting everybody’s viewpoint from chris, tom H, DM, Steve, Seth Bobbitt and books…the one that struck me the most with issues is DM’s.

Especially when I saw the vid where he uses that mexican kid as his model and uses that maniac windup trying to be as fast as possible to the plate…lol rediculous

I mean a lot of major league pitchers move controlled to the plate and explode with their hips and torso, they don’t rush.

i was watching video clips of doc halliday on mlb today. he is just nasty and there is nothing special about his delivery and mechanics. there is just something special in that arm. when he lets go of the ball it is just special. kind of like when the big time guys swing the bat. it has a different sound.

i honestly don’t know if you can duplicate it or develop it. if you have it, then you can work. if you don’t you better be able to hit a sheet of typing paper when it crosses the plate.

he pitches shorter than he is. its incredible to see him work