Really Need Help

I just turned 13 and i throw in the upper 70’s but i dont have a off speed pitch to back it up. So what do you guys suggest i should throw :smiley:

change up

CURVEBALL!!! To throw it all you have to do is turn your palm inward. so from your fastball palm position turn your hand 90 degrees toward your body. keep your curveball palm position right when you break your hands apart to release point. NO TWISTING

Don’t listen to RightyRinger. You should not throw a curveball till your 14-15. i suggest a change-up or (this isn’t a off-speed pitch) a cutter or maybe even both.

Changeup. You can honestly pitch successfully all the way through High School with a fastball and changeup. (I did.)

The thing is i cant throw a changeup to save my life :frowning:

Just look through the forums or look in the pitching articles and try out some grips. Some grips work for people and some dont… I think next to the grips they have advice on throwing them too

Well if you have trouble controlling it, next time you long toss with a partner, just long toss with the change-up

I can control it but it just looks like a slow fastball with no movement

One of the first pitches I picked up as a kid was a palm ball, and I found that it makes a fine changeup. You might try it. What you do is grip the ball way back in the palm of your hand, thumb on the bottom and all four fingers on top of the ball, or alternatively you might grip it with just a little space between your palm and the ball—the important thing is, you don’t want to grip it so hard that the ball would squirt out of your hand and drop to the ground a few feet in front of you when you throw it! Firm, yes—squeeze the juice out of it, no. And you throw that pitch just like a fast ball.
Fast ball, changeup, and maybe later another breaking pitch, and you have the basis of a good repertoire. 8)

Your halfway there. The slow part is the part I am having trouble with. I have the movement - but it isn’t much slower than my fastball.

The advice I always get from my pitching coach -

Keep working on it. If you don’t work on it - it’ll always be what it is.

I throw a variation of a knuckle ball but sometimes i leave it hanging and its the only offspeed i can throw worth something and for as the changeup i have been working on it for two months

Freak,

If you are having trouble commanding an effective change-up, you might be better off developing a split-finger fastball as a change-up alternative.

The splitter is thrown exactly like a fastball, except for the grip of course, so you shouldn’t have any mechanical problems with your current delivery. You shouldn’t take anything off of the pitch–the SF grip alone lowers its speed and makes it drop near the zone.

The SF grip can feel too awkward for some pitchers, especially guys whose fingers are on the short side. Other guys may take to it pretty quickly–if you can learn to control it, you will have a very effective change-up.

Definitely pick up the changeup. I never used one during high school and am now regretting it because I see how effective it is. If you are having trouble with the circle change grip in order to get good control, try other variations of the changeup. I struggled with the circlechange grip so I went to the grip Volquez uses. Theres one grip that will work for you, just keep working at it, it wont come in one night.

I agree with Kaz that you should work on a change-up. If the current grip isn’t working for you for whatever reason, try a different grip (my son uses the vulcan change and it moves alot). On the other hand, Kaz, the change-up is the definition of an off-speed pitch. FYI

Hose 8)

curveball alternative
what you can do for a curve is…
take any knuckleball grip(2 fingers preferred)
throw it like your fastball
snap you wrist
there you go a curveball at no wrick of hurting your arm

dont supinate

i wouldnt suggest the splitter as a changup alternative
it is a fastball variation
you wouldnt throw a cutter or a two seam for a change
a straight or circle change would be your best bet

“i wouldnt suggest the splitter as a changup alternative
it is a fastball variation”

—kelvin, you are simply a joker. In spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you apparently continue to believe that you have something valuable to teach. Instead, maybe you should decide to start at the ground floor and learn a few things about pitching before you try to teach the subject.

[quote=“laflippin”]“i wouldnt suggest the splitter as a changup alternative
it is a fastball variation”

—kelvin, you are simply a joker. In spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, you apparently continue to believe that you have something valuable to teach. Instead, maybe you should decide to start at the ground floor and learn a few things about pitching before you try to teach the subject.[/quote]
He’s a lost cause, I sure hope nobody actually takes any of his advice.

yeah sure
a splitter would work while you are young
but when a pitcher gets older and their velocity builds up it wont work any more
look at all the pitchers with splitters and change ups
clemens
smoltz
contreas
dan haren
harden

a splitter is not a change
and shouldnt be taught to be one
and plus a splitter puts alot of strain on your arm if you dont have big fingers

i dont try to teach
i try to help

Just to be completely clear on this point about the splitter, kelvin…

There is a very well-known pitching coach who spent 9 years pitching for the Braves, Red Sox, and Mariners then coached pitching in the Padres and Astros organizations and then served as head pitching coach of the Texas Rangers for 5 years during the time that Nolan Ryan, Jamie Moyer, Mitch Williams, Charlie Hough, Kevin Brown, among others, were on the Texas staff. This well-known pitching coach has been at the forefront of motion analysis for pitchers since motion analysis became a concept back in the late '80s and he has written ~15 books on all aspects of pitching: Mechanics, conditioning and training, nutrition, and psychology. He is currently the pitching coach for a major D-1 college program.

This well-known pitching coach teaches the split-finger fastball as an alternative to the change-up for those who have trouble with command of the standard change-up varieties. The splitter is extremely effective as a change-up and some pitchers are able to use and control it much easier than the usual assortment of change-up pitches.

But, you don’t think this makes any sense.

Well, dang! Thanks for helping again, kelvin.