Realized I've had a dead arm for a month +

Okay so its summer and I decided I would take this summer off and not play summer ball but instead throw on a regular basis to maintain. So me and a bud go out and go through our routine every day for about 3 weeks into this summer. Our routine consisted of about an hour of long toss every other day and pitching distance hard throwing every day inbetween.

So basically:
Monday- Hour of long toss
Tuesday- About 150 pitches, hard throwing
Wendesday- Hour of long toss
Thursday- Hard throwing again about 100 pitches.
etc
etc

So last week my bud leaves on vacation, he won’t be back until later this week. So I decide just to take a break since I have no one to throw to. So after about 5 days(yesterday), I decide to chase down this soccer player kid in my neighborhood and convince him to play catch.

First throw from about 30 feet away…20 FEET OVER HIS HEAD. So we continued and I got under control and I had the nicest, easiest, session of long toss in my life.

I was amazed and tried to think of reasons why throwing had become so effortless. Then I remembered my workload and it clicked. I am quite sure I had been suffering from a dead arm for at least a month. When you have a dead arm, you kinda realize it because all your throws are kinda “forced” like you have to put that extra UMP into each throw.

Do you guys have any suggestions on possibly a different schedule?

Also coaches and players have been hinting at a possible change to OF, do you know any workouts that can help me turn my long distance arm, to more of a line drive arm? Its not like a little league loft, but its gets there.

If this post seems kinda scattered brained its because I haven’t slept in two days.

Best regards,

Windy City.

"Monday- Hour of long toss
etc "

Were you doing any other kind of conditioning? What kind of volume of play did you have before this summer (Lots of travelball or all-stars…etc)?
The throwing regieme you show isn’t likely to cause harm unless you are going max effort full bore on those long toss days and or are mechanically faulty…is it an hour of catch or are you going deep from getgo?
As for the rest aspect, it is wise on your part to rest from the act of pitching for at least a month out of every year you pitch…At the University of North Florida they refer to this period as “active rest”, it means they condition, they recreate, they work, but no pitching. It does wonders…so your instincts were right (At least in some circles).

[quote=“jdfromfla”]"Monday- Hour of long toss
etc "

Were you doing any other kind of conditioning? What kind of volume of play did you have before this summer (Lots of travelball or all-stars…etc)?
The throwing regieme you show isn’t likely to cause harm unless you are going max effort full bore on those long toss days and or are mechanically faulty…is it an hour of catch or are you going deep from getgo?
As for the rest aspect, it is wise on your part to rest from the act of pitching for at least a month out of every year you pitch…At the University of North Florida they refer to this period as “active rest”, it means they condition, they recreate, they work, but no pitching. It does wonders…so your instincts were right (At least in some circles).[/quote]

Going full distance at about 200 feet and deeper. I pretty much was the horse and got the largest workload. Running and stretching is almost all of my conditioning, sometimes low impact weight lifting.

Well hoss or not, it is important to build to it, start at 10’ on a knee and build out to it as you limber up (You don’t lift your max on first rep do you?). I’d continue to condition in a targeted way, bulk isn’t helpful, but do get stronger. By all means work on arm/shoulder health type exercises (I consider long toss to be one of those). Remember how well your arm reacted when it got rest…a cheap lesson if you ask me :wink:

Thanks that was quite helpful. I did it this morning and felt great.