Realistic Goal?

My goal is to be able to throw about 90MPH by the time im done my grade 12 season.
Do you think this is realistic?
or am i just setting my self up for dissapointment?

I think you should expand it, whats the point of throwing 90 if the next day your arm is in a sling? 5 mph is a bunch at those velocities but you can reach a goal as long as you put the effort it will take to get your body to produce that sort of force. The thing you contemplate is no easy trick and it can have tremendous impact on your body. If I were to suggest anything to you, it would be to set a fully developed plan in place to reach the goal. Diet, conditioning, intangibles like grades and rest, perhaps a pitching coach or film. Much goes into it. The thing about a plan is, it is fluid, as time goes by you need to moniter your progress and adjust towards the goal, who knows where it’ll end up, but to plan and execute towards a goal is a key to a persons ability to succeed in life.

I think a better goal is to have established 4 college level pithches with excellent command by the time you are a senior…

But for your current goal, part of that is how hard you work, yes. But a big part is genetics. If your body allows you to, 90 mph may come easy. However if you are not built like a pitcher, it will be much more difficult to throw 90 mph.

set small goals and reach them, then set the goals a little higher and reach those. Yeah I want to throw upper 80s this season, but first I set a goal of going from 82 to 85. And I did. Now the goal is 87…move in small steps. Always question, never be satisfied. There’s always somebody working harder than you.

You can’t control the long term goals. You can control what happens in the short term.

Work on it!

Ben

[quote=“LankyLefty”]set small goals and reach them, then set the goals a little higher and reach those. Yeah I want to throw upper 80s this season, but first I set a goal of going from 82 to 85. And I did. Now the goal is 87…move in small steps. Always question, never be satisfied. There’s always somebody working harder than you.

You can’t control the long term goals. You can control what happens in the short term.

Work on it!

Ben[/quote]
Great advice Ben!

I agree. Can you throw 90 mph in HS and is it an attainable goal? Of course it is. There are dozens of high school pitchers doing it right now. But in order to reach the big goal – throwing 90 mph – you should set smaller goals that’ll get you pointed in the right direction. Sometimes setting goals too big, without smaller more attainable goals as stepping stones, becomes too overwhelming.

So here’s what your goals may look like:

ULTIMATE GOAL: Throw 90 MPH as a high school senior

TODAY’S GOAL: Throw for 10 minutes using 4-seam grip and strength train for 45 minutes.

THIS WEEK’S GOAL: Throw 5 days for at least 10 minutes ; strength train 3 days; run 4 days; get 8 hours of sleep; eat a good breakfast daily; no fast food; read first two chapters of “Mental Game of Baseball”; etc.

See what I’m getting at??

thanks steve, sounds good.

[quote=“Steven Ellis”] read first two chapters of “Mental Game of Baseball”; etc.

See what I’m getting at??[/quote]

I have that book!! Awesome read, with great advice.

All good stuff here guys.

My best advice, especially to you younger guys, it to always focus on things that you CAN control. Even for pro guys this is very important. You can’t get involved in things that are out of your hands, whether it’s what some coaches say, or how your defense plays behind you, etc. Set the long term goal of 90, now prepare yourself a plan. From here, just focus on each day, one at a time, and take care of the process.