Realistic goal?

Just got back from a 2 hour session with a trainer that was recommended to me by many people.

He did a bunch of tests, core stability, flexibility, one rep maxes, body fat %, all that.

He said based on the size that I am currently, my experience with weight training (zero) and how much I can lift in comparison to others my size, age and experience level… I’m looking at gaining 20 pounds of muscle this offseason if I stick to his regimine and food plan.

Think this is realistic?

How did he find out your Body Fat %?

He took these metal clipper things with a guage on them and measured my body in like, 15 different places, wrote down the numbers and averaged them off I think. I was at 7%.

wow how much do you pay for this guy to train you

when you say trainer, do mean a private trainer, or a trainer with a syndicated gym? (World Fitness, Gold Gym Inc., etc.)

May I offer some additional considerations to your experience:

Is he/her certified by the state or commonwealth where you live?
Did he/she take your blood pressure prior to -during -after your visit?
If a diet plan is in the works, have you complete a document that sates what foods you might be allergic to? (Standard stuff for professionals.)
Did you complete a questionaire concerning current medication, a doctor’s exam and other related “pre-screening” prior to taking on this trainer? (Again, standard stuff for professionals)
Does this trainer have an age bracket that he/she specializes in?
Did he/she breakdown your itinerary into specific body improvements like: cardiovascular, respiratory enhancements, endurance/tolerance durations - and for what specific, etc.?
What does this trainer specialize in: general fitness, sports specific, post injury rehabilitation - what kind(s).
Is this trainer insured - by who? If so, ask for a “certificate of insurance”. His/her insurance agent can simply make a copy of this form that states what and for how much. DON’T NEGELECT THIS PHASE OF YOUR INTRODUCTION TO THIS PERSON. If he or she is a professional, it’s pretty standard stuff.

Why do I bring this small sample of questions up? Well, because any person can offer training for just about anything. But if your looking for a specific kind of training to compliment your sport - not address it directly, that’s a kettle of fish all together. I’ve had people approach me for training and prior to that meeting they’ve spent a lot of time and money with aggressive weight training, muscle mass, endurance, etc. Which is great if I was looking for a nose tackle, third and long, on third down.

Baseball is unique - especially pitchers. Flexibility, endurance of a special kind - physical and mental, a diet that not only keeps you healthy but fuels a very special kind of engine. I could go on, but you get the idea.

If your trainer is a pro, he/she should hone your regiment to the sport specific that your involved with, unless of course your itinerary is for general health … and that’s a good thing too.

During my training career, I’ve had to carry a specific insurance product that covered me professionally, first aid and CPR training, regular health and fitness training and seminars, specific athlete endurance and tolerance sensitivity seminars, and a host of professional subscriptions (not cheap either) that kept me instep to what was the latest in my field. Expensive stuff. I was approached from time to time by other people outside of the baseball community to “help” them along with their health training - but I knew my limits and expertise did not compliment a one-size-fits-all.

By the way, that last statement has more to do with professional ethics than anything else. And on that note, every coach, trainer and staffer associated with organized athletics commits to code of ethics - subscribed by the profession that their in. I took my very seriously, and I still stand by those ethics today - even though I’m retired.

I hope this gives you, and others, some guide lines with respect to trainers.

Best wishes with your baseball experience.

Coach B.