Realistic Appraisals

Realistic Appraisals

When evaluating yourself and your abilities in this sport be both honest and realistic of your appraisals.

Comparing yourself to older players like those in the professional game and even slightly lower levels of competition can be unfair to you and do no justice to your learning this craft. Also, some players develop at different rates and at different times in their life.

For example, a young man that didn’t live that far from me was a so-so player while growing up and his ability to pitch was not up for debate – he couldn’t. In fact, he was scrawny as a kid, not much muscle, and at times all hands and feet. And then somewhere along the line he grew up. His demeanor changed, his attitude changed and his maturity seized the moment and he was off and running. It took time and a lot of patience on his part – but he did it. Now, is he playing pro ball? No. Did he ever play college ball? No. But, he did enjoy the game for the sake of getting more out of it than what he originally thought was there.

Getting along with people and all sorts of agendas that you have no control over, challenging yourself in uncharted waters, doing the right thing when a lot of others won’t - just to get ahead or go along with the crowd, and practicing your good side with solid character and honesty is the stuff that good citizenship and adulthood is all about. It’s not easy – but then nothing worth while is.

So, if you want to pitch – just remember that your representing more than just a win-lose, me-myself-and-I outing. You’re in the middle of an infield, in full view of everybody and someone who has enough faith in your character has given you the namesake of the game and all the forthcoming opinions of who you represent. Most importantly you. Show-em you’re a class act. Show-em you have character. Show-em regardless of what happens you have an honest appraisal of your own ability, your worth, your courage to see this through regardless – to the best of your ability.

Baseball can be one of the most humiliating, self reflecting experiences of your life. A classroom where you are both the teacher and the student. Be reasonable with yourself on report card day. Learn before you judge yourself too harshly. And do so with others.

Coach B.