Raw talent pitcher trying to go D1

Hello, I have recently come to the realization that school is important, and I just have a few questions to ask, first off im going to tell you about me, I am 17 years old, 6’ 0", lanky frame, 135lbs, and I am left handed, I pitch and my fastball reaches 86, but I just recently enrolled with a pitching coach, who has started fixing my mechanics which he says are bad. His sons name is Joey Gallo and just got drafted by the rangers in the first round. He says he sees tons of potential, and projects me to throw 94 because my father is 6’ 4" and I am taller than he was at my age, we are both late bloomers. But after his junior year(which i am in) He went on a growth spurt. My big problem here isn’t talent, D1 college will probably like me because Of a good fastball and I am left handed, but my problem is I have a 1.8 gpa, I know what your thinking, its horrible, but I NEVER cared about school, I am far from stupid, and I could pass all they classes,take summer classes whatever, I just want some advice that will make me eligible to be recruited by d1 colleges, and maybe some ideas on what to do like send in recruitment videos ect, I have been told many times im wasting talent if I have bad grades, but I’m motivated and I’m going to try to do my best for the rest of high school.

Your honesty is refreshing. I would say for the rest of this Junior year and your Senior year you have to hammer the books hard and raise your overall GPA as much as possible. Some D1 schools (I will use Cal Poly as an example because I am familiar with them) dont even need your test scores if your GPA is 3.0 or higher. Odds are, you not going to be able to raise your overall GPA to that level if is is 1.8 after 2 years, even if you take honors classes to weigh your GPA. As for a “glamour” program like UCLA, Stanford, Florida ect. why would they take a guy with a 2 something GPA (most school like that you wouldnt even make the cut) when there are qualified players who are outstanding students? In reality, your probably looking at a smaller school or a Jr. College. JCs can offer a high level of ball and give you the chance to prove yourself academically and transfer to a big school after two years. If your throwing 94 as a lefty as a Senior you choice may be college or the draft. Your 17, youve made a mistake as far as your grades. The beautiful thing about where we live is you have chances to change your course. You may have to lower your sights for a bit, but, keep working hard on and off the field, stay positive and out of trouble, treat yourself and others with respect and seek the advice of quality people, coahces, teachers and friends and you will be fine.

I agree with fearsomefour’s comments–IMO he is giving you extremely good advice.

If you are close to your coach’s projections a year from now you’ll have a great chance to be drafted out of high school.

However, regardless of your draft status, if you are really serious about wanting to play baseball in college there are some outstanding JUCO programs that can help prepare you academically for D-1 college, while playing ball at a very competitive level for 1 or 2 years.

The academic requirements to play at D-1 level are no joke–if you’ve never been much interested in academic studies before, it may be tough to just “turn it on” like a light switch. Not impossible, but tough…

You probably also need to realize that the days of “full ride” athletic scholarships for baseball at D-1 schools are just about over, for all practical purposes. With just 11.75 scholarships to spread among their entire roster, the extremely tough competition for roster spots and scholarship money makes it that much harder for D-1 coaches to risk precious scholarship money on prospects that are very weak academically.

However, check the rosters of some of the strong D-1 college programs… you will find that a lot of them include a few players who went to a top JUCO program and proved they could get their HS academic issues settled, while also performing at a very level of competitive baseball.

If you happen to be interested in the SF Bay Area… College of San Mateo has an excellent reputation for sending many of their best guys on to strong D-1 programs in the Pac-12, WCC, Big West, etc. Coach Doug Williams runs an outstanding, very competitive program there. If you like, PM me and I’ll get you into direct contact w/ Coach Williams.

I know they are giving unspecific advice (good advice), but where do you want to go to school?

Saying simply D1 is vague - with the requirements (of all D1 schools) being equally ambiguous.

Fearsome and la are giving you some solid advice. It will help.

Like Kyle has mentioned DI is very large and very deep as far as talent, you have your major programs, mid major and then you have your smaller programs and weak programs.

Don’t get caught up in the allure of having to play DI Baseball, just because it sounds cool to say you’re playing DI.

There’s plenty of fantastic schools at the JUCO, DII, DIII and NAIA level that are good at getting player’s to develop to get to the next level (pro).

re: “…plenty of fantastic schools at the JUCO, DII, DIII and NAIA level that are good…”

I also agree with this statement; however, zackcrosby1’s big challenge is really the weak GPA. I don’t know much about the NAIA but NCAA D-2 and D-3 programs (generally speaking) may be weaker on athletic talent but at the same time just about as demanding for academic requirements as D-1 programs. That is certainly true of many D-3’s…the academic side matters even more at those schools (and there are no athletic scholarships at D-3 level, regardless of how talented you may be).

JUCO programs, on the other hand, seem tailor-made for kids who may be having academic trouble in HS, or who don’t have enough $$$ to pay for 4 complete years of a 4-year college/university, or some combination of problems of that type.

For a very small amount of money, even guys with a sub-par HS GPA can play for a very competitive JUCO program…getting their academic skills in shape and continuing to hone their baseball skills. JUCO programs are really a very attractive source of Junior-year transfers to a number of excellent D-1 programs.

I totally agree la,

JUCO is the best option hands down to go if you have terrible grades and after those 2 years transfer to a place where you can make an impact.

If your in Nevada (based on your comment about working with Gallo), both Southern Nevada (Las Vegas) and Western Nevada (Carson City) offer top flight baseball programs…and would probably beat a lot of D1 schools.

#1 because I’ve been in your shoes. You need to add about 70lbs to your frame man. Start working on that right away. My guess is you barely eat. Don’t just count on 94 being there because someone told you it would. It won’t unless you put in the effort

#2 get your GPA up but realize you’ll eventually be able to get into a top D1 if you throw consistently in the low 90s. You may have to go to a JUCO for a year, but coaches will get you into their schools if they want you bad enough. At least, my team is almost entirely made up of guys who would never have gotten into the school without “help,” and I’m sure most ACC schools are the same way.