Radar Gun

I noticed this year watching the playoffs that they have been paying a lot more attention to how fast the ball leaves the pitchers hand and how fast it is at the plate. This makes me wonder where should you point your gun when you’re gunning someone? Where do scouts point their guns?

High quality radar guns pointed in line with the pitch trajectory can give readouts for both the “peak velocity” (measured when the ball is just out of the pitcher’s hand) and “home plate velocity” (which is always the lowest velocity measured for any given pitch).

Velocity as we know it is measured out of a pitcher’s hand. That’s how it’s been for years.

I find it humorous that Tim McCarver openly admitted that he had no clue about that.

I agree with you on McCarver, I guess it’s just not something you think about.

stalker and jugs are the 2 industry standards. the vast majority of professional scouts use the stalker. they get the reading right out of the hand. the only other gun i’ve seen that is reliable is the one that attaches to the catchers mitt. it works pretty good but i’m not sure what velocity it reads.

Glove radar and SpeedCheck measure the velocity of the ball within a few feet of home plate. Those numbers are 6 to 8 mph slower than peak velocity, measured immediately after release.

So if you really think about it a pitcher doesn’t throw 85 or 84 they really throw 77-85 or 76-84, it seems like it’s a range of the velocity even on just one pitch because of the decceleration.

Not really though. The velocity standard as we know it comes out of a pitcher’s hand. When scouts use a stalker and it says 90, that’s the standard we’ve used for years and it’s out of the pitcher’s hand.

Just because we now know how to measure velocity at the plate should not diminish a pitcher’s 90 mph fastball.

Velocity at the plate may be a good way to measure life on the ball. Perhaps some fastballs lose less velocity and look a little faster to the hitter. That’s where the value lies.

Perhaps.