Quit if the Defense is this bad?

I feel like I can’t take pitching for this team anymore… it feels like punishment pitching with a defense that is this bad … I would say we average at least 1.5 errors per inning, no joke! And that means I can almost never just get three outs per inning… sometimes I have to get as many as 7 outs per inning! … and it’s 90+ degress! … and then after these elongated innings I go sit down for 5 minutes so my guys can get out 1,2,3 … What makes it even worse is that the other team maybe hit 3 or 4 balls solidly off me all day … I’m making my pitches, getting them off balance, I’m not walking people, and I get punished out there … it’s pure punishment … and this team doesn’t seem to be getting better either … they just suck … I don’t know what to do… it’s not even worth it, really …

Well your in NYC so it wont be 90+ degrees forever.

Look, I cant tell you what to do but I can tell you from my own experience that quitting wont solve anything IF you actually like to pitch and play baseball. If you like to pitch you will stick through it. I dont know what age group you play in but im figuring it must be pretty young, maybe anywhere from 10 to 13. If thats the case you will just have to deal with it because at that age errors are very regular, kids simply dont know that game and might not be ‘able’ to make some plays. I also dont know what your expecting from your defense, if you expect every grounder to be scooped right up and fired 80 MPH over to first base then thats unrealistic. Like I said, your gonna have to elaborate more but from what you have already said I can tell you that quitting is not the solution.

EDIT: I hope your signature isnt about pitching because pitching is ALOT more then “just throwing a ball.”

stop being a pu***. ive played on sum bad teams too but im just there to get sum more repetitions be4 the season starts. just be there for you.

yes, I am whining, and I know in a couple days I will have cooled off a bit … the best I can say about this season is that I’m getting excersize … but I will always maintain that it is PUNISHING to have guys make errors behind you when it’s every single inning … I don’t expect perfection … How about an error every third inning? That’s reasonable for this league. It’s an 18 and over league, most of the guys are between 21-24 … purely amateur, but it’s not a mere rec-league … I love baseball and I love competing.

Oh-my tag line is just a reminder not to complicate pitching more than it is… of course it’s a very meticulous act.

andrew here is an easy soluation for you.

Get to the point where your defense does not have to make plays.Baseball is a team sport and sometimes the errors crushes a pitcher. I told my young one if you don’t want your defense to make the errors or lost if you have lost faith in them , strike everyone out!!!

Andrew I am joking of course, keep your head up man. Also pick your teammates up after each error!

I am with you, guy. My teams defense has been at the very least, lackluster this year. Take my last start for example. We were playing a solid team who could hit the ball. My objective was to keep the ball down in the zone, and keep them off balance with off speed pitches. My stuff was working well. Although in my 4 IP I had 3 ER, against a team like that I’d consider I did my job well enough to keep us in the game. But guess what. We were down 10-0 when I came out. And my body was completely worn down. It’s tough throwing 50 pitches in one inning, regardless of whom or what.

SM, thankyou for comiserating … it is just exhausting and deflating! … our whining is completely legitimate … what is a non-strikeout pitcher to do? … on Sunday when I left after 5 innings we were down 9-2 and I’d only given up three earned runs …

Get this, in our next game that day, doubleheader, the team made 4 errors in the first inning, meaning that our pitcher had to get 7 outs in one inning! Which is a tremendous task, considering we were facing the defending champs. Neeless to say we were shot after that.

It could be worse - you could be here in Phoenix. Today’s high is forecast to be 110 degrees. :shock:

110 in Phoenix vs 90+ in New York. I’d call that a tossup.

[quote=“andrew.ra.”]I feel like I can’t take pitching for this team anymore… it feels like punishment pitching with a defense that is this bad … I would say we average at least 1.5 errors per inning, no joke! And that means I can almost never just get three outs per inning… sometimes I have to get as many as 7 outs per inning! … and it’s 90+ degress! … and then after these elongated innings I go sit down for 5 minutes so my guys can get out 1,2,3 … What makes it even worse is that the other team maybe hit 3 or 4 balls solidly off me all day … I’m making my pitches, getting them off balance, I’m not walking people, and I get punished out there … it’s pure punishment … and this team doesn’t seem to be getting better either … they just suck … I don’t know what to do… it’s not even worth it, really …[/quote]my team is like that in the field when i pitch as well, when you throw next, just don’t say anything when your in the field and just think positive for yourself, if you hit your spots, throw good, dont walk many, then its a good game for yourself, if they dont want to make plays for you, then just think of you as a separate team when you pitch, play for strikeouts and just dont say anything when they make an error, thats what i do sometimes when we have 5+ errors a game

Some times I don’t say anything. Sometimes I say, hey, get’em next time. The one thing I haven’t done is show them up, or give them a hard time about it.

Being that the I haven’t chewed them out, and that I have nothing to lose and its the one thing I’ve yet to try, maybe I should give it a shot? Maybe they need to tighten their focus…

I once played with a pitcher who was this real ghetto kid and he’d totally show guys up, unbelievably so… he’d go too far, for sure … but I must say that when I was playing D behind him I made sure I was giving max focus.

My son is playing on a very bad team. They often give up 7 or 8 outs per inning. We were “run ruled” 17-0 and the ptichers gave up a total of 3 hits all singles. There were only 2 walks.

My son feels your pain and is very frustrated. Not only does his team severely lack baseball talent, but they are playing in a league that lets guys play at least a year older than you are. Some are 2 years older. As an 8th grader, he is pitching to Freshman & a few Sophomores.

What can you do? WORK ON YOUR PITCHING! Spotting guys a year and maybe 2 years means you will blow the ball by very few batters. You must change speeds. You must hit your spots, You must throw your breaking ball for strikes.

It is frustrating to have ground balls to 3 rd become doubles. It is iritating to have high fly balls drop out of guys gloves. Especially, when the guy is 6 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier. As a pitcher you did you job only-geez no out for it.

Right now we keep a book on quality at batters. What probably should have happened. Easy grounders to short should be outs. Pop ups to second should be outs-not doubles.

It seems to make it some what better. Meanwhile we work on pitches and pitching (as we search for a new team) Ian.

The sooner you realize that you cannot control the results once the ball leaves your hand, the sooner you will be able to focus and improve on what you CAN control …

deal with it. It’s just making you more equipped to pitch. If you dont like the errors, strike the people out :wink: I’m on a horrible team as well, the defense has blown at least 3 games we would’ve won, but it’s just something you need to put up with.