Quick Question

Just wondering what are some ways you can generate a lot of momentum before you plant and release the ball?

The best way to get momentum is when you lift your leg you want to right before peak leg lift you want to start to move out into your stride the sooner you can do this is delivery the better the momentum if everything else goes ok with timing.

Get your front hip moving forward sooner and faster. Push it sideways toward the target at peak of knee lift. Once you’ve mastered that, then try starting forward before peak of knee lift.

Doesn’t that utterly mess up a deceptive move to a base?

Or should prioritizing momentum to the plate be put higher?

Two interesting questions there, Seffapotamus.

I don’t see why generating momentum early would mess up RHPs or LHPs moves to the plate.

For LHPs the umpire will be looking for the direction your stride leg is going about halfway into leg lift–LHPs can generate considerable forward momentum at the hips and still get their leg over toward 1B without balking.

RHPs basically need to start their pickoff move to 1B before any motion occurs from the set positon, or else they’ll pretty often be called for balks, so I don’t really see how they are afffected either.

As to prioritizing momentum to the plate–unequivocally ‘yes’, in my opinion. Creating powerful momentum toward the plate as early as possible is extremely important unless you happen to be one of the few knuckleball pitchers in baseball.

One grim way of looking at it is: If you don’t eventually learn to generate some useful momentum toward home plate before the peak of your leg lift occurs, you might not find yourself having to use your pickoff move very often.

Sread your feet shoulder width, evenly balance. Place your left or right hand out straight lightly touching the wall. Now, lift the knee of the leg closest to the wall then take your hand off the wall. Obviously you will fall toward the wall because of GRAVITY; as you FEEL the fall add your view of momentum. Learn to feel what your body parts are doing.

Well, as a LHP myself, I know how to manipulate my move to first so that it is deceptive to the runner, while maintaining the visual plane to that base (the 45 degree move).

What I had in mind while posting was for moves to second. I use the lift and rotate move, and it seems like the rotational part would be impossible if you have already committed your momentum forward as soon as your front leg lifts off of the ground.

As for the priority of immediate momentum to the plate, I was just wondering if immediate momentum would always outweigh having more of a balance point, in which you can commit to multiple bases.

Helpful answers though :wink:

I think it does. Pick-offs are few and far between. Decreasing your pitching effectiveness for something that occurs infrequently doesn’t make sense to me. Beside, getting your momentum going early and faster gives your catcher more time to throw out runners. My opinion.

Makes sense. Thanks :wink:

Note, that’s exactly what I meant a few posts earlier in this thread when I said,

“One grim way of looking at it is: If you don’t eventually learn to generate some useful momentum toward home plate before the peak of your leg lift occurs, you might not find yourself having to use your pickoff move very often.”

You can read that as: “If you don’t generate competitive momentum toward home plate, other guys are going to be doing most of the pitching”.