Questions

[color=blue]Hi
My name is Graham, I live in canada. I am a RHP 5’6.5 115 Pounds. Max out at around 53. 12 years old almost 13, just finished 2nd year of Peewee A baseball as I failed to make the AA team. It was the first time I had ever tried out so I was really nervous. I had pitched twice in games before and was now expected to pitch. I had arm soreness throughout my years of baseball but not as much this year. These were the few stats I was given - pitched the most inings on the team in 13 games with 20 innings 40K’s and i only gave up 10 hits. I would consider myself a control picther.

I gave up alot of runs due to either poor or terrible feilding as in one game were i gave up six runs in three innings 5 runs offf of errors.

Goals I have

1. Improve Velocity
  2. Even though i am more of a control pitcher i still walk to many people in a different game 4IP out of the only six innings it took for our team to mercy the other team. 8K’s 5 BB 3 runs 2 earned. How do I walk less batters?
  3. Build muscle on arm to try and get rid of arm soreness.

I have alot of questions

1. What exercises Weight/Non Weight can I do to stengethn my arm? Would the soreness be from growing pains?
  2. Should I play alot of catch? What should I eat? How should I build velocity?
  3. I have heard that if you run after you pitch it gets rid of the soreness, Is this true?
  4. At the end of our teams season I burnt out from pitching that much, What are possible contributing factors and how can I build stamina?

I throw a 4 seam and a 2 seam fastball, I have tried a three finger changeup but not in a game or very often ( Just a few times). Should I add a changeup or a different pitch?

Thanks

Graham 8) [/size][size=12][/size][/color]

also what exercises should i do to strengthen my body?

[quote=“Schellberg”]
I have alot of questions [/quote]

First, welcome! I think there could be a hundred different answers to your question, depending upon the responders experience and knowledge. So, take whatever you see hear with a grain of salt and search out the archives to complete your understanding of what it takes to be a great pitcher. My perspective is that of a father whose oldest son is the same age as you and ask the same questions. This is the advice and direction I am giving my son.

Resistance bands, light weights and core exercises are inexpensive exercises that anyone can do. Do both push-ups with pull-ups. Sit ups are really good as well. Increase endurance and coordination by doing jump ropes. I would be more concerned about strengthening the shoulders, the back and the legs.

Several web sources: http://www.drivelinebaseball.com/tag/resistance-bands/ and http://www.scribd.com/doc/14678577/The-Navy-Seal-Workout
http://www.thecompletepitcher.com/pitching_workouts.htm

Play catch every day if possible. There are many recommendations here about the benefits of playing catch.

Be in good physical shape and study the mechanics of pitching. Again, search the archives for pitching mechanics. Consider taking the NPA’s online course. It costs $25 and It’s worth the price. Velocity is a byproduct of good mechanics, quick arm speed and to a certain extent, genetics. It’s not the starting point.

Again, there is a thousand answers to this question. Start with a balance diet and stay away from sodas and a diet full of high-fructose corn syrup.

I have my son ice his arm after he pitches. 10-minutes on, 10-minutes off, 10-minutes on. He hasn’t had any arm pains to date.

I wouldn’t consider 20 innings to be too many innings for your age, so building up endurance could include running and jump rope. Playing full-court basketball is also a great way to build up endurnace

I recommend first working on the fastball -2 Seam and 4 Seam- so that 70% of the pitches are strikes. Then concentrate on location. Inside corner. Outside corner. At the knees. Etc. Then add a change up. Work on the change up so you can get at least a 50% strike:ball ratio.

Lastly, I tell my son that a great pitcher has to want the ball, and if he doesn’t want the ball, it will show when he pitches. A large part of pitching is attitude - knowing you can get the hitter out. Good pitching takes a lot of hard work and discipline. It doesn’t come overnight.

A lot of pitching coaches (mine included) have said that one should throw every day. That is the best way to keep the arm loose and flexible AND at the same time strengthen the arm. I used to alternate between playing catch for some twenty minutes at a time and doing a bullpen session; during the latter I would work on some aspect of mechanics and working on or refining one pitch or another. And nothing beats having a good catcher to work with; the catcher can do various things such as positioning his mitt in various places so you can work on hitting the target—wherever it is—and giving you important feedback, so that you will know if there’s anything that needs to be worked on. In my playing days I also found that if I had to relieve between starts, an inning or two, that counted as “throwing every day”. 8)

You are one very motivated kid…with that attitude and mental focus and toughness you will make a AA or AAA team no problem.

What has been said is great stuff, some thing that can make you not burn out at the end of the season is good cardio and flexability, try yoga or something else that works muscle control and not just strength. And definately run a pole or two to get the blood going after you pitch, it works wonders for the recovery process.

thanks