Questions on Using GoPro for Recording Baseball Games

I will be recording baseball games for my son’s travel baseball team this year for the first time using a GoPro Hero6 and have a few questions:

1. I picked up the camera last night. Coach was using a SanDisk Ulta 32GB Micro SD (HC I). What 64GB micro SD would you recommend?

2. Our plan is to record every game (approximately 50 this Spring plus some practice games). I will record the games, download them afterwards, and then send them to Coach (either by email or download them into a Cloud). Ideally we’d also like parents/family to have access to them too. What is the best way to make them accessible to everyone?

3. I handle the online scorekeeping (GameChanger) so stopping between innings will be difficult without WiFi I would imagine. I also wanted to bookmark plays my son is involved in so we can review them with him later. How important is it not to use WiFi? You need to use WiFi to control the camera with both the app and the remote, correct?

4. What is the best way to protect the camera? He already bought the LynkSpyder standard bracket and the Smatree mount. My concern is a direct hit to the camera with a foul ball. During the regular season we will be hanging the camera from chain link fence, but during indoor practice games it will be hung from mesh netting.

5. What is the difference between the GoPro Hero 6 and the new GoPro Hero 7. Coach bought the Hero6 right before GoPro released the Hero7. Is it worth it to upgrade to the Hero7? From what I saw, GoPro has a trade-in program…Hero7 Silver would be $199 with the trade-in of the Hero6.

Thanks!

Hey Illinoisguy,

As someone who is also rapidly learning video, I wanted to answer your questions here, but my only comment would be that YouTube probably has your best answers for most of the GoPro operation specifics.

But as for question 2, I’d suggest that A, it’s probably more work than it’s worth to record every game…you’ll probably find that most families won’t review many games, certainly not all. Maybe pilot that program. As someone who has piloted many “additional resources” type projects like this for the players in the academy I own, I’ve found most of it goes unutilized. It’s unfortunate, but I’d say start small and see what demand is like.

BUT - making a YouTube account and posting all of the videos there, then organizing them as a playlist (which you could make unlisted so only those with the link have access) is probably the easiest way. They’d exist there forever and be quickly accessible for all.

Lastly, if you get a decent tripod with an extension arm, you can probably get the go pro close enough to a fence hole where it can capture the whole field through while not being within the field of play. That may work, it may not, but I know I’ve recorded whole games that way - through one of the chainlink holes.

The GoPro is a good choice, the only thing you’d lack is zoom. A decent Camcorder will do all of that as well, but also be something you could grab, zoom in on a particular player, then zoom back and out return to normal.

Anyway, good luck! Dan

I think IL Guy got many of his questions answered elsewhere, but I thought I would post them here in case others search and want to know as well:

1.) GoPro has a pretty good page for SD Card recommendations:
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/microSD-Card-Considerations

2.) You will be dealing with Terabytes of data before the end of the season. My recommendation is to get a couple external USB hard drives and physically hand them off. Email will be impossible for full videos (not a bad option for clips). Cloud is possible but very slow.

3.) You can control the camera from either your smartphone app or dedicated remote. I do not recommend using the same device as you are using for Gamechanger. You will be connected to the camera via a camera hotspot which will not have access to the internet (which you will need for Gamechanger). Connecting and disconnected is just a painful process that will lead you to punch kittens.

4.) You will be find mounted on chain link fence. We shoot balls at our setups in a test environment at 90+MPH. No damage and no dropped cameras. As for netting, make sure you flip the bracket and shoot through the small opening. This will protect the camera in the event of a direct impact. Take a look a this video we made showing the other items we recommend for shooting in a net environment:

http://youtu.be/VaiV2DhPbqQ

5.) In my opinion, for what we use ours for, it is not worth the upgrade from the 6 to a 7. If you are using the 7 outside of the baseball/softball environment, the 7 has some very nice shake reduction features that work very well. But when mounted to a fence, this will server you no purpose. With that said, our production approved camera (the one we use when we want no issues) is still the HERO5. It was the last GoPro camera that used a processor made by someone other than GoPro. The HERO6 and 7 still suffer from issues that cause the camera to lock up or shut down (this has been our experience, anyhow).

And to Coach Dan,

LynkSpyder is designed to mount the camera to the fence to avoid having to use a tripod. This way when LittleJohnny’s brother is running around during the game and would otherwise kick the tripod out of position 100 times in a weekend, you never miss the shot.