Question

When your hips rotate when your front foot has landed, are you supposed to try and turn your hips quickly or do you just let it come naturally when you throw the ball?

Let it come naturally.

By trying to actively turn your hips, you are more likely to slow them down than you are to speed them up. Also, by the time your glove-side foot lands, your hips will be pretty much as open as they can be, and what really matters at this point is the position of your shoulders.

What you need to focus on is keeping your shoulders closed as long as you can.

thanks chris

alright somebody tried explaining this to me but i still dont understand. He said that my hips should fully rotate then my arm should come around…but i noticed that AS my hips rotate my arm and upper body are moving a little too

The longer you can keep your shoulders from releasing and rotating as your hips rotate underneath them, the more you will stretch the muscles of your torso and the more power you will generate.

The problem is that too often guys let their shoulders turn as soon as they feel the slightest pull rather than holding them back. If you work on holding your shoulders back, on keeping them from rotating, then over time you will increase the separation between your hips and your shoulders.

This is easier from some people than others and depends on your flexibility (but you can increase your flexibility over time).

Anyone has good drills to help you keep your shoulder closed while your hips open up?

I never try to rotate my hips, I just let it happen. I was told that if you try to rotate your hips harder it will cause injury, i’m not sure if this is true but either way I just let them do what they naturally do.

that’s not my problem tho , my hips rotate fine but my arms and upper body move with my hips , and that is wrong.

This is probably due to…

1. Not actively trying to keep your shoulders closed as long as possible.
  2. A lack of flexibility.

Don’t feel bad. It’s hard for me too unless I consciously work at it.

i do have really bad flexibility…how do i work at keeping my shoulders closed.?

It’s really a matter of having a couple of things happening simultaneously. At the same time your lower body is rotating, your arms are not stationary. They’re doing what they need to do. With most MLB pitchers, the throwing arm is transitioning through horizontal at shoulder height up toward high cocked. The glove arm is another story. Tom House would say it is equal and opposite but that can’t happen at this point. The glove arm can only mirror the back one until both are at shoulder height, then the glove arm usually moves laterally while the throwing side upper arm is rotating externally in the shoulder socket, getting the forearm and ball to move in an arc upward.

So, you need to train yourself to have this coordination of the parts. If you’re mind can make these things happen simultaneously and you think about rotating the shoulders late or not until the throwing arm is at high cocked, you’re on your way.

See, piece of cake, right? :shock:

Tom House has a drill called the “mirror drill” that works on the separation and late shoulder rotation aspects of the pitching delivery. It’s kind of hard to describe in words but I’ll try…

Start with the feet spread fairly far apart with the front foot at the angle in which it would plant after your stride. Bend the knees and cross the arms. Slide the hips back and forth a few times keeping the head level and then come to a stop in the forward position. The front knee should be flexed as it would when you plant after your stride. The knee should not be forward of the toes. In this position, release the back foot and rotate the hips as far forward as possible while keeping the shoulder in the closed position. Hold that position for a few seconds and the rotate the shoulders. As the shoulders square up to what would be your target, move the spine as far forward as you can while keeping it upright and then hold that position for a few seconds. Relax and repeat.

You should feel a stretch across the torso at the point where the hips have rotated and the shoulders are still closed. Then you should feel an isometric load on the lower back after the shoulders have rotated and the upright spine has tracked forward. Do this in front of a mirror to ensure good form.

Once you have this down, then you can add in the arms to practice opposite and equal arms into foot strike as well as the swivel and stabilize of the glove over the front foot. Simulate the throwing motion and pay attention to how far out in front your release point would be.

You can get a video that demonstrates this drill at http://www.nationalpitching.net