Question

is a 3/4 better for control than over the top

It’s certainly a good bit easier on the arm. The “over the top” or straight overhand delivery puts the most strain on the elbow, the shoulder, heck, whatever one throws the ball with (thank you, Eddie Lopat), and more injuries result from it than from any other. I myself was a natural, honest-to-gosh sidearmer, and I never had any problems because the sidearm delivery is actually the easiest on a pitcher. You might try working with the 3/4 arm slot and see how you feel with it, and if it works for you,stay with it.

my travel ball coach is trying to get me to throw over the top instead of 3/4 like I always have mind taking a look at my other post and eval. my mechanics. I’m open to criticism

Come right out and ask that travel ball coach why he wants you to change your arm slot, and if he can’t give you a really good reason, RUN! Get off that team and find another one with a coach who knows his elbow from third base. Why should you change your arm slot to one that poses greater risk of injury just to please a coach who in all probability doesn’t know what he’s talking about—or asking? If your 3/4 slot is working for you, stay with it.

Lefty, Your “mechanics” were looked at and commented on. You need to post video of you pitching not going through the motions for constructive comments.

As far as changing your arm slot, I would like to hear the coach’s reasoning for the change.

Turn 22, I too would like to know.
Do you remember Fred Sanford? He may have been before your time, but he wasn’t a bad pitcher. He toiled for the old St.Louis Browns in the 40s, and then the Yankees got hom in a trade. Problem: he had a herky-jerky motion, and never mind that he was getting the batters out—pitching coach Jim Turner and third-base coach Frank Crosetti didn’t like it, and for no other reason than it offended their esthetic sensibilities. So they started futzing with him—and they ended up destroying him! When they got through with him he wasn’t a good pitcher any more, and at the end of the season he was traded.
The irony of the whole thing was that when Turner went to Cincinnati in 1960 to become their pitching coach he had a guy on his staff who was really one for the books. Howie Nunn was a reliever, and a good one, who had an even worse-looking motion; he wiggled and wabbled and jerked around like a jackrabbit on steroids, and he threw his arms and his legs and his neck and just about every other part of his anatomy into his delivery. It looked awfully funny—except to the batters who had to face him, because he got good stuff on his pitches and was getting them out. And Turner never said “boo” to him.
So what’s with this coach who is trying to change a pitcher’s arm slot? Is there a real reason for it?—or is it the misguided notion that over-the-top is the only way to go? This inquiring sidearmer really wants to know. 8)

In today’s youth game there is a fine line between those coaches that know what they are doing and those that know enough to talk the talk to uniformed parents. I find the latter to be especially dangerous to youth players, because while they may talk the talk, they really know very little of the game.

These are the coaches who will try to change mechanics based on little knowledge, and usually based on what they have seen in their favorite major leaguer. “If pitcher xyz does it it must be the way”.