Question regarding spin rate & velocity

Hi, I’m not a pitcher but am a big baseball fan and enjoy learning about the “inner workings” of the game. I’m wondering the following…

Let’s say my average curveball is 75 mph with 1500 rpm’s. On my next pitch I want to increase velocity (basically throwing the hardest/nastiest curve I can muster.) Is it possible to increase both velocity & rpm’s?

Suppose I want that pitch to be around 80 mph @ 2000 rpm. Possible?

There’s a saying in baseball if you want to increase velocity you sacrifice movement; and I have this theory that you can apply alot more spin on a slower curveball than a faster one.

Also, when throwing an “average” curveball do you put the max spin you possibly can? If not, how much more do you think you could apply with a slower or faster pitch?

This is my first post so hopefully I wont get flamed too bad :slight_smile:

Yes, these things are possible—and it all has to do with “The Secret”, which I learned many moons ago. And what that secret is—is getting your whole body into the action and not just throw with the arm and the shoulder. You drive off the lower h alf of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, I might add, seamless) motion, and in doing so you generate more power behind your pitches. This use of the lower body to start a whole continuum going is the real key to a pitcher’s power, and in doing this you take a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so that you’re throwing harder and faster with less effort. I learned this from three Yankee pitchers who were doing this all the time, and I saw just how they were doing it, and I made a note of it and started working on it on my own. I found that even though I was not, and never would be, very fast I could throw harder with less effort, and somewhere along the line I even acquired an 81-MPH four-seamer which, for a finesse pitcher like myself, was a fast ball. There are several drills and exercises you can do to this end; one of the best is called the “Hershiser drill” which aims at getting the hips fully involved, and you can find it and some others on this website and also on the NPA site.
The other thing you’re asking about is how to throw a changeup. There is a whole closetful of them to pick and choose from, and basically you can do this with different grips, by holding the ball well back in the hand or further forward—but one thing you have to remember: you have to throw all those pitches with the same arm motion and the same arm speed as you would for a fast ball, because one thing you do NOT want to do is telegraph them! And—this goes for everything you throw—you want to throw from an arm slot that is comfortable for you. My wise and wonderful pitching coach, an active member of that Yankee pitching rotation, firmly believed that every pitcher has a natural motion, and what he would do was work with that pitcher and show him or her how to make the most of it. (I was a natural sidearmer.)
Well. these are some of the basics. Any more questions? There’s a whole bunch of us waiting to answer them. 8)

Thanks for the reply but you may have responded to the wrong post? Because I never asked about changeups.

Also, I’m not asking how one can add more velocity to a pitch in general. I’m talking about changing speeds during the game. For example lets say I have the ability to throw a curve with 3 different velocities and 75 mph is my average…

80 mph @ ? rpm
75 mph @ 1500 rpm
70 mph @ ? rpm

How do the rpm’s change in the faster and slower pitches?

If you were in fact answering this question by stating you CAN increase velocity and spin then my bad, just want to clarify thanks!

you stole my username! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, so now there are two of you? Okay—I’ll call you LL Original and LL Carbon Copy, and I’ll address this to the Carbon Copy.
My pitching coach once told me: “Move the ball around—high, low, inside, outside, AND CHANGE SPEEDS.” He also said: “Never the same pitch, never the same place, never the same speed.” Two ways of saying the same thing. It’s imperative to change speeds to confuse and discombooberate the hitters and throw their timing off. And by moving the ball around you change the batter’s eye level, make it difficult if not impossible for him to set himself for a particular pitch.
And now, LL Original: you have my express permission to go ahead and chew out the carbon copy all you like. :lol:

Lefty, I am your alien twin LOL. I’ll have to see about changing my user name to avoid confusion.

And I understand about changing speeds. What I want to know is what happens when you change speeds on a curveball? Is there more or less rpm’s?

The faster the pitch, the faster the spin. The slower the pitch, the slower the spin. That’s it. 8)

Whoa - two lanky’s! Nice :slight_smile:

CB’s has less RPM than FB’s.