Question for steven ellis. What pitches did you throw?

hey steven id like to thank you and karatekid for uploading your mechanics. id also like to know what pitches you threw and if you had any unique grips for them. thx in advance

:baseballpitcher: :homeplate:

When I watched the video of Steven I saw, FB, CU and spike curve.

I almost always threw a 2 seamer to the right side of the plate and a 4 seamer to the left side. Didn’t matter if it was a righty batter or lefty batter. If I was throwing to the right site I threw a 2 seamer and a 4 seamer to the left.

I also threw a circle change and a knuckle curve. (I tried to show all 4 pitches/grips in the brief video I posted of myself).

thx steven. i thought a saw a knuckle curve in there. thats pretty much what i throw. 4 seam. 2 seam, changeup (palmball), and developing knuckle curve

Interesting business, this—what pitches various individuals throw, or don’t throw. I know one pitch I never threw, and that was the screwball—a pitch that, if you throw it too much and too often, will literally screw up your arm, no pun intended. I remember one time Ed Lopat asked me about it, and I told him that I never did, even though I knew how. His reply: “Good for you. You don’t need it.” And I didn’t. Here’s what my repertoire in days of old consisted of:
Curveball (a natural one which came attached to my sidearm delivery)
Knuckle-curve
Palm ball (the first changeup I acquired)
Slider—my strikeout pitch!
Circle change
Slip pitch—as I learned it from Lopat, it was a hard slider thrown with a knuckleball grip, and I could use several such grips, each one of which would affect the break
The “whoops” pitch, so called because I didn’t know what else to call it; it was an 81MPH four-seam fast ball with good movement on it
And, of course, the crossfire, which is a move that works only with the sidearm delivery—I fell so in love with it that I used it almost all the time
And I could change speeds on most of those pitches. As you may have guessed, I was by no stretch of the imagination a rip-roarin’ fireballer, so I went in the other direction and became a very good snake-jazzer. And I won a lot of games as a starter and rescued a lot of games as a reliever (mostly 8th and 9th innings, but sometimes I would come into a game in the seventh to stop a rally). It was fun. :slight_smile: 8) :baseballpitcher:

hey zita if you wouldnt mind could you tell me a little more about your “whoops” pitch. it sounds interesting.

This is one of those things that just happen.
I was warming up before a game I was to start, and I was throwing all my pitches just to see how they were working—and then I went into the windup and threw a pitch that was a good bit faster than my other stuff. This pitch had movement on it; it seemed to rise out of the strike zone and then dip back in as it got to the plate, and I didn’t know what to make of it, so I tried it several more times, crossfiring it and all that. As soon as I realized that this pitch was not a fluke, I stopped throwing and called my catcher out to the mound so we could discuss it. He asked me if I wanted to try it in the game, and I said sure, I wanted to see what would happen.
I used that pitch quite a bit in the game, and the batters had no more luck with it than they had with my other stuff. In response to a question from one of my teammates, I said I called it a “whoops” pitch simply because I didn’t know what else to call it! Then, a few days later, I met with Ed Lopat and I was telling him about it, and he rushed into the Yankee clubhouse, came out with two gloves and a ball and tossed me a glove and the ball. He asked me what kind of grip I was using, and you know something? I wasn’t even aware of the grip, i just showed it to him. After a moment he told me to throw it nine or ten times because he was going to time it.
He timed it with a stopwatch—and believe me, he wasn’t half bad as a catcher—and then he came out to my position, pointed a finger at me and declared, “I’ve got news for you! You have a fast ball!” I was dumbfounded—me, a finesse pitcher, with a fast ball? He said yup, I had a fast ball. He had timed it at 81 miles an hour and said it was a good four-seamer, and he told me about some things I could do with it. He said, and these were his exact words: “That’s a good pitch…use it.
You can do with it what I do with my ‘fast ball’. Spot it…let the batters look at it once in a while…use it to set them up for the slider.” And that led to a discussion of deception on the mound.
The “whoops” pitch…an accidental four-seam fast ball, 81 miles an hour.
I never even knew I had one. But I added it to my arsenal. Another pitch for the batters to lose sleep over. 8)

I would like to know more about this ‘crossfire’ move. I am a submarine finesse pitcher.

Yeah explain what crossfire is. I’m intriged.
“therbert11” funny signature btw

To all who asked about the crossfire:
This is a move which works only with the sidearm delivery. It’s been around for a long time; the first I heard about it was when Ewell Blackwell was pitching for Cincinnati, back in the 1940s. Here’s how it works.
Say you’re a righthander. You go into the windup—or the stretch, depending on whether there are runners on base or not. Nut instead of delivering the pitch to the plate in the usual fashion, you take a step toward third base, whip around and deliver the pitch from that angle. It looks to the batter as if the pitch is coming at him from third base, and if he’s crowding the plate he’ll jump back out of the way and watch as the pitch clips the corner for a strike. This move will work with any pitch, and I remember how I fell so in love with it that I used it extensively—a fact which was not lost on my pitching coach! He used that move from time to time—one day he was helping me with my circle change, and he said to me "I know you’re going to crossfire it. You use that move with everything you throw."
Of course, if you’re a lefthander you take that step toward first base and deliver from that angle.
And that is how it’s done. :slight_smile: 8)

If you have a runner on 3rd couldn’t you be called for a balk?

No. You don’t stop your motion there; after you’ve come to the full stop of one second you take that step toward third, whip around and deliver the pitch. :slight_smile:

I have seen a lefty called for balks at first for stepping too much to first base while still going home are the rules a little different for this situation?

That pitcher probably did something else that resulted in a balk being called on him—maybe he took his foot off the rubber too soon, or he failed to come to a full stop—but there’s nothing in the rulebook covering the crossfire. If there were, just about every pitcher who used that move would have a balk called on him! I doublechecked that rule, and it has to be something that the pitcher did. 8)

I will just stick to staying on the far right side of the pitchers rubber. But it does sound interesting, and I would love to try it.