Question about My Mechanics?

The last time I posted this the general concesus was that I was turning my shoulders too soon and not getting enough seperation between hip and shoulder rotation. I was woundering how I should fix this.

Should I turn my shoulders before my front foot lands?

Please don’t pay attention to the follow through–it is rushed because i was throwing against a wall.

It doesnt really look like you’re pitching…looks like how someone throws when they just playing catch.

Well that was helpful

(end sarcasm)

i think you have good mechanics, put another one up where you can see your arm angle, 1. good high leg kick and good balance 2. nice leading with you left foot 3. pretty good hip/shoulder separation, once again, cant really tell your arm angle much, and do it on a mound, thats way different, one other thing, your stride might be too little, 77%-87% they say of your height…

Thanks for the help Tanner.

What angle should I do–straight on? or from the side?

[quote=“Hoovedawg”]Please don’t pay attention to the follow through–it is rushed because i was throwing against a wall.[/quote]Sorry. It doesn’t quite work that way. If you’re thinking about the wall being there, the ball bouncing back at you and ensuring that you don’t get hit by it, you’re not thinking about pitching to your best ability. You will change your mechanics based on the parameters you have set for yourself. So, commenting on this throw will be premature and incomplete at best. This is my same argument about the often heard recommendation about “ending in a good fielding position”. If you’re thinking about that, you aren’t fully thinking about finishing your pitch and your mechanics will be affected.

Having said that, I will say this. To generally describe your pitching mechanics shown here, I’d say that you simply spin your body then throw with only your arm. There’s really a non-existent stride, no centre of gravity to the plate momentum (sideways) built up as a result and no transfer of momentum up the chain. Sorry for being blunt but that’s what is in this video.

My recommendation is you should do some research on overall pitching mechanics, try some of it and then post some video. Picking on all sorts of small items now would only serve to confuse. Get a good pitching instructor who will take video of you and then provide recommendations. Without video, he won’t see what’s really happening with the arm. It moves just too darned fast.

Good luck.

(see my second post-the one about being helpful)

Well I was hopeing I could get some instruction from people here. Tanner’s post was helpful–he said a few non confusing things that will help me be a better pitcher.

So rather than tell me how my mechanics are awful, why don’t you make a suggestion or two that will make them better, rather than say go look it up.

[quote=“Hoovedawg”]Thanks for the help Tanner.

What angle should I do–straight on? or from the side?[/quote]like the one you have now, but make it a little more zoom, its kinda far away, and not taking sides with dm59, he gives great advice, but the thing about the wall might effect you a little bit, but when you go off a mound then we can get full results, im looking forward to the video of you on a mound

I’m sure DM59 knows what he’s talking about–its just he didn’t convey it to me. Basically all I got from his post is that my mechanics suck and I should look it up on google on how to fix them.

[quote=“Hoovedawg”]I’m sure DM59 knows what he’s talking about–its just he didn’t convey it to me. Basically all I got from his post is that my mechanics suck and I should look it up on google on how to fix them.[/quote]i dont think your mechanics are bad, they look quite good

“Having said that, I will say this. To generally describe your pitching mechanics shown here, I’d say that you simply spin your body then throw with only your arm. There’s really a non-existent stride, no centre of gravity to the plate momentum (sideways) built up as a result and no transfer of momentum up the chain. Sorry for being blunt but that’s what is in this video.”

There is not one good thing in there at all. Thats where “my mechanics suck” comes from, and the part about looking info up comes from
"My recommendation is you should do some research on overall pitching mechanics"

Sorry for not sugar coating things. If you think I was blunt, go to SETPRO. You want brutal. There it is. My advice to you still stands and it wasn’t intended to be mean or to say your mechanics suck. You have some challenges there and I outlined a couple. For example:

[quote]To generally describe your pitching mechanics shown here, I’d say that you simply spin your body then throw with only your arm. There’s really a non-existent stride, no centre of gravity to the plate momentum (sideways) built up as a result and no transfer of momentum up the chain.[/quote]If you really look at what I said there, you will find what I believe to be some direction for you. Sideways momentum generation with a longer stride. Getting your body to help you throw the body as opposed to simply spinning and then throwing with just your arm. Those are areas you should do some research on. They’re complicated and difficult to describe in a post. There’s a lot of good material on this site about these things and I’m very serious about you doing that research on your own THEN coming back with questions.

You’ll learn a lot more that way than me or anyone here just saying “do this”. After you’ve read about the things I noted, we can have a really good conversation.

In short, I believe I’ve given you the best advice I could at this point. Get self-educated a bit first and then our discussions will make a lot more sense. I, of anyone, am not averse to helping someone out. Quite the opposite. I’ve spent many hours doing just that. Tanner can attest to that, I’m sure, as can many others.

dm has helped improve my velocity from 86 to 90 mph, he knows what hes talking about :smiley:

As I said, Im sure he knows a lot, but all he told me was that my mechanics were bad.

The entire post he said absolutly nothing about how to fix my mechanics.

I gave you far better advice than any specific talk about a mechanical issue ever could. I pointed you to some things to do some research on and THEN we can talk. I honestly believe this will be the most productive thing you can possibly do. I’m not trying to be difficult. You’ll benefit in the long run if you just spend a day or two reading about this stuff in general. Our discussions will then be so much more effective.

BUT, if you insist, here are some specifics:

1. Generate some momentum, sideways toward the plate before anything else opens up or rotates.
  2. Lengthen your stride, not for it’s own sake, but for the express purpose of achieving #1.
  3. Now, you must turn that linear motion toward the plate into rotational energy that moves up from component to component in the body (links in the chain).
  4. At each “link” point, or transfer point, the “connection” must be made at the point of maximum velocity of the previous link or component.
  5. Each “transfer” must happen smoothly.
  6. No pauses in the entire process. Pauses allow energy built up to be dissipated and you must start all over again in the next part of the body.
  7. Into landing, rotate the core, hips, knees and feet. Spin the back leg on it’s axis to assist in getting full and powerful hip rotation. Drive that back hip around the front one that has just been stopped by the front leg.
  8. During all of this lower body rotation into landing, the throwing arm and the back of your hand move up THROUGH the infamous high cocked position. This happens simultaneous with the lower body rotation. The shoulders remain aligned between 2nd and home during this. This is a very difficult thing to learn. Different things happening in 2 different parts of the body. It’s a timing and coordination thing to work on.
  9. When the front foot lands, the hip rotation you just set up and was fueled by the momentum generated during the stride gets transferred up into the torso, causing a stretch because the hips have rotated before the shoulders. This stretch, if timed correctly and is done smoothly, fuels a more powerful shoulder rotation. This is one of the most important “momentum transfer points” in the whole “kinetic chain”.
  10. Rotate the shoulders and bring the elbow toward the target while the throwing arm is “rag loose”. If the timing is correct, the forearm will lay back to horizontal as you rotate the shoulders.
  11. The NPA, as Roger can attest, state that this shoulder rotation is most effectively done with an upright spine.
  12. Flex the upper body forward, bringing the chest out over the front foot and “catapult” the throwing hand toward release. The bend in the elbow goes from near 90 deg. when it was laid back to close to zero at release (as per Glen Fleisig of ASMI).
  13. Continue the forward flexion of the torso and the follow through of the arm in a “long arc of deceleration” to a “flat back finish”. This is where the throwing arm has gradually slowed down and finishes somewhere outside of the landing leg. The hips and shoulders have “fully” rotated. The back leg has spun inward as far as it can.
  14. I’d love to see the glove get tucked in beside and a little ahead of the glove side chest, for protection against the line drive coming back at you.

That’s the best I can do right now. I’m sure some others will, and hopefully they will, chime in to add to or dispute some of what I listed.

Thanks DM59. I will try to incorporate these things and ill post another video in a bit.

No.

Starting to turn the shoulders too soon is what leads to poor hip/shoulder separation.

The goal is to not rotate the shoulders until (or possibly even slightly after) the glove-side foot lands. This creates the maximum separation.

I find that pointing the glove at the target as long as possible (e.g. until or after the glove-side foot lands) helps guys learn how to do this (even though most pros don’t do exactly this).

I just took another look at the video and believe your biggest problem is when you start rotating your shoulders; I think they start turning much to soon.

I think this is both costing you velocity and increasing the likelihood that you will injure your shoulder.

I couldn’t go frame by frame through the video, but by rapidly cycling between Play and Pause, you can see that you start pulling your glove in before your glove-side foot lands. This starts your shoulders rotating too soon, which screws everything up.

The first thing I would work on is not pulling your glove into your body so soon. You have to wait until your glove-side foot lands.

DM-I have done a lot of research on pitching, more than most people here. Your first few posts sound like you are talking to someone who knows absolutly nothing about pitching.

[quote=“Hoovedawg”]DM-I have done a lot of research on pitching, more than most people here. Your first few posts sound like you are talking to someone who knows absolutly nothing about pitching.[/quote]Why ask for help with your mechanics then? If you know so much, why ask these members of this board a question on your mechanics? I’d be willing to be that dm59 knows way more about pitching mechanics than you. Research does nothing really, there’s so many theories that are right and most of them you can find on google are unreliable. That just puzzles me though, why ask for help if you know everything? Shouldn’t you be able to find what your doing wrong with all your information from your research?