Question about Dick Mills

First, I would like to say…this site has been a great tool to me in helping my 9 yr old son with his pitching.

This is his first year in kid pitch baseball as a pitcher. He is tall for his age and he is fairly thin. Dr’s project him to be about 6’3 or taller. He does not possess a lot of velocity and seems to tire quickly in game situations. His control is usually good until he starts to get tired. He has two solid innings and sometimes a 3rd before he starts to “guide” the ball.

I have come across Dick Mills’ web-site several times searching for pitching tips and mechanics. He has a “free” pitching report that he will send you if you sign-up. I’m sure that it is a marketing tool for his videos and books. Has anyone read this report? Is it worthwhile?

My son and I will start working on an off-season workout program in a couple of weeks when the season is over. I want to make sure that he has good base of mechanics to work from and that we take care of his arm. Anytime we work on pitching he always runs after the workout and we ice him down.

Any advice?

That all sounds a bit much for a 9yo. Notice how many times the word “work” shows up in your post? Don’t turn baseball into work. After baseball, let him go play the next sport to come in season. Keep him well-rounded - he’s too young to specialize in just one sport. And make sure he has FUN.

In the mean time, you can continue to learn about pitching so that you can help him (or at least be able to effectively select a pitching instructor) when the next baseball season comes around again.

Is the report worrthwhile? Yes and no. There’s nothing in it that you can’t get on his site – so you’ve already seen it. He does, however, make a pitch to purchase his pitching videos. That’s, of course, the primary function of the report.

I’d say that if you haven’t picked it up, send for it. I have. It’s free, so you’ve really got nothing to lose.

I agree with Roger. Cross training for a kid should be riding his bike and shooting hoops. When the season first ends, which seems to be around July for most leagues, coninue having him pitch to you if he wants for a few more weeks. It may be a good time to correct something mechanically because there is no pressure of being ready to pitch in a game. But that’s if he wants to. Just ask them. If they say no go for a bike ride with them instead.

A doctor on the ASMI site said the top pitchers he works with pretty much all played more than one sport as a kid.

And you should learn about pitching and it’s probably not good to get addicted to any one guru. Learn from everyone. Every kid processes info differently. what one coach says may just confuse him but a different solution to the same problem from another coach may click with him.

couldnt have said it any better kvoss. every kid is blessed with not only different ability to take in informatino as well as different talent but also they possess the ability to throw different ways. just take a look at barry zitos curveball and how no one else can emulate it. same with randy johnsons slider a few years ago. just keep letting it be fun for the kids and let them play other sports once the sports get competitive in junior high and high school then maybe let them specialize but even then encourage him to play other sports its actually easier to stay in shape that way.

I appreciate the responses form everyone. I want to assure you that Mason is not a one sport kid. He plays competeative soccer in fall and spring and has a passion for basketball. I tried to work on his general throwing motion last summer during the season. It did not go well! His GS arm would fly open and he had a very weak and arching throw. All I got from him was “Dad, why are you so hard on me?” We have a small Community College in town that does not have any sports programs. However, there is an instructor that teaches at the school who has worked as a scout for the Yankees. I contacted him about lessons for my son on pitching. I knew in the back of my mind that Mason wanted to pitch, but would have to do a lot of work on his throwing in general before he could ever walk to the mound.

Long story-short. He started to hear the same things from the lessons that Dad was telling him in the yard. Within two lessons he was getting on top of the ball, correct grip(2/4 seam), tucking the glove at his rib cage, etc. He now is able to play 3rd base with an accurate and easy to catch ball at first.

He has asked me to work with him over the summer to improve his control and velocity. He has even asked about trying to find a travel team for him to tryout with for next season. He is gifted with talent, speed and mental toughness. He can do anything he wants, as well as he wants. I am now trying to find “good” scources of information on hitting, fielding, and pitching to help him become better at baseball. Just because I am searching for information does not mean I am going to force the issue. I have to be and want to be prepared with good information in-case he asks or wants to go further with sports. Bottom line in the house is; school is FIRST and sports are Second. That will never change.

hogfanjr: I understand that you are trying to find the best information for you son, and think thats great. The other guys around here (most of them fathers) were just warning of putting to much emphasis on baseball and working since one can often do it without noticing.

I happen to be one of those guys that would be happy playing baseball every day of the year, working on my game all the time, I have a younger brother that is far contrast from me, he would just like to show up on the field on game day, play, smile, and wait for the next game.
It sounds like your son is one fo those kids that has a burning desire to improve, kudos to you for doing what you can to help out.

As far as Mills free thing goes, he has gone from a lot of informative information in his sales pitch, to just statements he doesn’t like and a statement he knows better, along with a sales pitch.

I’ve requested reports since Mills first started sellng programs.
With my father never playing a lot of baseball and having a bad arm, I learned for myself proper mechanics and such.
Actually two huge things I learned from Mills being, it’s not a drop and drive motion, because that will mess with timing, and also pitching is about rotational forces.

I agree with Mr. Ellis, send a request, it’s free

As far as information goes it’s everywhere, and like others have said stick to one “guru” they all have something to offer, but one lone guy is not gospel, especially as many different qualities as pitchers bare.