Putting Fear in hitters minds?

What are your guy’s best methods to scare the hitters. I being a freshman at the varsity level need to do this alot to compensate for my age. I wear the special nike contacts, which make you look demonish for starters. I never allow myself to smile on the mound, always a blank glare at the hitter. And most importantly, I will throw inside to anybody, and knock them down if I have too.

What do you guys do?

Sounds like you already have a handle on it. During your 8 warmup pitches one or two hard wild ones could give the catcher a chance to casually mention how wild you were the last time out.

lol yea pegging the mascot a la Nuke Laloosh also works really well

if a hitter can be scared by a pitchers antics and posture, than you probably don’t need to scare him to get him out in the first place.

I don’t think as much about trying to project a certain aura as much as I try to get in an aggressive mind set … I’m coming after you attacking the strike zone, kinda thing.

That said, having a blank glare, like you said, is a must. Ideally it comes from the inside out, and isn’t just a put-on.

Personally I try to show almost no emotion when I’m on the mound. If a guy’s been hitting everything hard all game I’ll be a bit worried inside but won’t show it. That rarely happens though unless the guy is an amazing hitter. I also don’t have a problem intimidating hitters either because I’m a big guy to begin with being 6’7 250 lbs.

As a hitter though I could care less about how intimidating the pitcher trys to look. Go ahead come inside on me, if you hit me I get a free base so I won that battle. And if your worrying so much about intimidating me as a freshman playing varsity you’re probably a smaller young looking kid. No matter how nasty you try to look I’m still going to brush you off and not be to worried unless your pitching the lights out.

So I guess the best advice I can give you is let your pitching do the talking.

[quote=“copecowboy”]Personally I try to show almost no emotion when I’m on the mound. If a guy’s been hitting everything hard all game I’ll be a bit worried inside but won’t show it. That rarely happens though unless the guy is an amazing hitter. I also don’t have a problem intimidating hitters either because I’m a big guy to begin with being 6’7 250 lbs.

As a hitter though I could care less about how intimidating the pitcher trys to look. Go ahead come inside on me, if you hit me I get a free base so I won that battle. And if your worrying so much about intimidating me as a freshman playing varsity you’re probably a smaller young looking kid. No matter how nasty you try to look I’m still going to brush you off and not be to worried unless your pitching the lights out.

So I guess the best advice I can give you is let your pitching do the talking.[/quote]

Lol well I’m not usually called a small guy at 5’ 10" 150, but compared to you I am lol…

And If your one of the hitters who won’t back off the plate if you get buzzed up and in, then I won’t try and back you off as much. I’ll do it against some of the lesser hitters on your team, so by the time you come up I will already have established the inside part of the plate with the ump and there won’t be as big of a neccessity to do so again.

When I throw inside, its just as much about getting those inside calls as it is intimidating the batter. Pitchers don’t throw inside anymore, and that is in my oppinion why hitters hit more HR’s and ERA’s have soared. (Aside from Steroids of course)

I have problems staying serious on the mound i laugh sometimes but i show the hitter im no joke when i buzz them with my fastball… always works :shock:

You can always scare a hitter during their ab

like lets say you’re in an 0-2 count throw 2 pitches at the batter ( basically like backing him off the plate) but make it seem like you just somewhat wild.
The throw a hard inside curveball. alot of kids will just freeze up. They were scared because they thought it was going to hit em so they couldnt swing.

I agree about throwing inside to get the inside calls to, you need to be able to go inside and outside if you want to be successful, it sets up pitches and gives the hitter more to think about.

But I wouldn’t say pitchers don’t throw inside anymore and thats why there’s more hrs and higher era’s. Pitchers have in my opinion pretty much reached their maximum potential as a whole while hitters still have room to improve.

During Little league one of the pitchers we faced during playoffs talked to himself the entire time, and it had nothing to do with baseball either. It was probably the scariest thing a pitcher could do, because you legitimatley thought he was crazy.

Dont worry theres nothing you can do to scare me as a hitter. Some get scared some don’t i’d worry about pitching first. I as a batter never ever get scared of striking out. I’m a small freshman going on sophmore and i play u-17 ball and i had my first game tonight and went 2-2 i could have played u-15 but i went up a level. I like when the pitcher gets full of himself on the mound after he throws a few strikes by me knowing that i do best when i have 2 strikes. Don’t get cocky or down show no emotion.

Two words: Al Hroboski

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]What are your guy’s best methods to scare the hitters. I being a freshman at the varsity level need to do this alot to compensate for my age. I wear the special nike contacts, which make you look demonish for starters. I never allow myself to smile on the mound, always a blank glare at the hitter. And most importantly, I will throw inside to anybody, and knock them down if I have too.

What do you guys do?[/quote]
what are these contacts? I hate using the contacts i have right now i never wear my glasses ever or anything, and I won’t playing ball but my eyes get so dry with the shale and such

^ That’s why I wear glasses with a band on.

i think he’s talking about contact that make your eyes look red, a kid i played with wore those, it was pretty disturbing.

[quote=“3and0”][quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]What are your guy’s best methods to scare the hitters. I being a freshman at the varsity level need to do this alot to compensate for my age. I wear the special nike contacts, which make you look demonish for starters. I never allow myself to smile on the mound, always a blank glare at the hitter. And most importantly, I will throw inside to anybody, and knock them down if I have too.

What do you guys do?[/quote]
what are these contacts? I hate using the contacts i have right now i never wear my glasses ever or anything, and I won’t playing ball but my eyes get so dry with the shale and such[/quote]

http://www.nike.com/nikevision/main.html#section=product&subSection=product_maxsight

There not much different than regular contacts, but their like sunglasses for your eyeballs. Awesome and scary as shit

so do you wear them in place of contacts or over your contacts?

What could any pitcher do to scare a batter other than to hit him so hard in the face/ head as to kill him. Every batter fears that. Watch the batters who barely get brushed back who react as if their life rushed before them then rushed the mound to retaliate. The batters who fear no pitcher are full of crap. Maybe they like pain, live on the edge or have a death wish.
Lets be serious, lacrosse would be the best game for the head hunters. Anyone who has witnessed a pitcher being hit in the face and the sound of silence in the stands will NEVER forget it. The pitcher has more right to fear the batter especially in amateur ball with the metal bats. Maybe one day some crackpot will ask what is the best way to scare a pitcher.

hockey’s a better game for headhunters, trust me. No other sport do you ever get hit so hard. I played lacrosse hockey and baseball last year, adn i played lacrosse for a while before that(I’m obviously canadian) and I have gotten hurt twice as bad in hockey, and hurt kids twice as bad

One game I play with hitters if I accidently(sp?) plunk a hitter I smile smile at them and they usually look scared if I face them again.