Pushing velocity in 10U

My kid is a strike thrower and generally successful when he pitches. However, he rarely throws as hard as he could from the mound. He does dial it up another 3-5 MPH on occasion.
I am inclined to get the kid to throw harder much more frequently but can’t ignore the success nor the lack of any reported soreness/drops in effectiveness/etc.

I am curious what others think about this relative to the “throw with intent” instruction.

I think at 10 years old the intent to throw hard is much more important than concern of balls & strikes.

My kid was late to pitching, started playing baseball at 11 or 12 and pitching regularly at 14. His whole time when he was sort of easing into pitching he was told to not worry about velocity, stay under control, throw strikes ect. The end result was a soft tosser.
It is much harder (some claim there are limits to how much one can re learn movement patters) to teach the body to throw harder when the kid is older, as I am struggling with my son now.
Start it with throwing, not pitching. If you play catch with him have him, after a good warm up, really let it go. Throw the piss out of it so to speak.

Exactly this.

For fun, you can also hit him some grounders to the right and left side – to get him moving a little – and then have him field and then throw out an imaginary runner across the field. This helps young kids develop a little rhythm in their step and not think so mechanically about throwing – rather just field, set the feet and throw as fast as possible.

I find there has to be a balance. You may throw hard but if you don’t throw “enough” strikes the you won’t see the mound. The good news is that throwing strikes and throwing hard doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive.

What if I said the kid tested out as the hardest thrower on the team via throwing into a screen. Does that change your opinion?

Not at all.
He is 10.

ephinz1,
Ask your son to explain what the pitching surface is like that he has to work off of. These amateur ball fields can be a struggle for youngster, not to mention destroying any form and learning curve of how to pitch.

I totally agree with fearsomefour on playing catch. A simple game of catch can not only develop total body movements that compliment the pitching process, in addition to impressing a “rhythm” for your son to use with pitching. All in all I wouldn’t be too concerned with the firepower aspect right now. If your son can work the strike zone now, he’s light years ahead of his contemporaries. Also, by working the zone, he probably gets the rest of his crew on the field involved in the game as well - that’s a good thing.

This velocity thing for any youngster under 18 requires a broader perspective that what’s usually suggested by those on the sidelines, not involved with the total game and so forth. Building a body and mindset that will accommodate the disciples of sleep management, diet and nutrition training tables, conditioning for the age group and personal demeanor of the youngster, is a limited but accurate way to chase the velocity/game control golden goose. Of all the topics that I just mentioned, diet and nutrition is key to all other doors that you want your son to open. The values of carbs, proteins, vitamins and mineral impresses to health growth and development are mandatory foundation blocks for everything that follows.

Oh the other hand, I’d say a large percentage of youngsters and their fathers usually go the …" I want 90+" first on my pitching resume, with the foundation stuff far behind.

Steven Ellis has put together a tremendous publication for a youngster and his/her family to learn with. It’s called “TUFFCUFF Junior edition.” Also, under the information bar at the top of this web page is a section called ARTICLES. Click on that topic and then scroll down to a variety of sub topics, and you’ll find everything you need to bring your son along. By the way, Steven Ellis has made this all available for you and your son, free for the taking. I should note that the publication “TUFFCUFF Junior edition,” is for sale and can be purchased through this web site.

Best wishes with your son’s baseball experience.