Pushing off

When you push off with your leg are you suppose to push of with the side of your foot or wait till you start to turn your leg then push stright back?

This can lead to many, many arguments and debates. Personally, I don’t like using an all encompassing mental “cue” like “push off the rubber” unless it’s in a larger context. I prefer that pitchers think of driving their front hip sideways at the target (with the back heel down) and then rotate hard off the rubber by spinning the back foot and finishing it off by pushing with the foot/toes. What I’m trying to get at is that it’s not as simple as we’d all like it to be. Many times, these “cues” are problematic in that they limit our thinking. Yeah, I know, it’s good to keep things simple but at some point we need to put things into the broader context. Cues are very limiting and can cause too narrow a focus.

I agree with DM - it’s better to think about getting the hips going. Of course, even that can become one of the “cues” that DM likes to avoid. But it’s ok to think about it while trying to improve it - in practice. After it becomes 2nd nature, then you stop thinking about it.

As I said in another thread, the only thing I normally concern myself with regarding the back foot is when in relation to ball release the back foot lifts off the ground and the direction and length of the drag line.

I try to do it and I just can’t push off as hard as I am suppose to be

everyone tells me you should t"push off" if anything “pull” with your front leg.

The whole idea of pulling with your front leg is passe. Actually, I believe it’s absurd.

i never fully understood that , its like coaches tell you this shit and have no idea how to explain it. it pisses me off.

There has to be a push off with your foot against the ground/rubber just to initiate the stride. But the question is once the body gets going then how much pushing does there continue to be? Is there a point in the stride where the pushing stops and the body’s movement towards the target is driven entirely by momentum? If so, then the foot will be pulled off the rubber. In this case, there is both a push and a pull.

Now, do I know this is for a fact the way it works? No. This is what I think is believed by those who claim the back foot pulls off the rubber. Do I think this is a feasible argument? Yes. The momentum of the stride leg swinging from knee lift to foot strike does generate a lot of momentum. Plus, the back foot usually turns over and drags and it’s hard to do any pushing during those actions.