Pulling my head and front foot out while hitting

I understand this website is about pitching, but lately against pitches coming in slightly slower I have been pulling my front foot out and my head as well. Is there anyway to fix this big issue for me. When this happens and I’m pitched outside I hit a weak groundout to short or third(I’m a lefty). I’m also wondering when that happens if I’m late on it or hitting it the other way weakly because I’m not waiting on it and keeping my head and front leg in the correct position. Thank You

Describe how your elbows are positioned when your at bat.

Example: both elbows extended out, or, front elbow down - back elbow out, and so forth.

Front elbow down for the most part, back elbow slightly up but not straight, or around a 75 degree angle I believe.

When your front foot is pulled out … as you say, does this mean that you swing with an open stance? If so, there’s no way the swipe of your bat is going to hit ( with any quality) a pitch that’s down and away.

Take a look at the graphic representation below of what’s going on when you pull your front foot back. In reality, your pulling your upper body away from covering the entire plate with any quality. If you do make any contact, usually it’s a punch-hit, going right to the fielders that you described. So, stay in the bucket and concentrate on the incoming pitch. By the way… a down and away pitch is pretty standard stuff for an open stance. Just watch and MLB game and watch how the backstop sets himself up when the batter has even a hint of an open stance.

If your back elbow is up, it blocks your view of the down and away pitch. If your leading elbow is up, that blocks your view of the inside pitch.

By the way, watch how the MLB backstop sets himself up with a batter who has these elbow positions. Pretty standard stuff.

So are you saying to close my stance up a little. I have definetly been considering doing this. I have tried it in BP and it works better.

Here’s the thing about stances and arm positions.

A standard stance with both feet squared off is just the starting point for learning the art of hitting. Your feet position either contributes to your at bat, or it takes away - period. BUT, that’s only half of the equation. Your hands and arms can actually position themselves to either enhance or take away the advantages of your stance in the box.

I’ve watched some very talented hitting coaches and I studied why they coach the way they do. Why? Well, when they coach a batter not to do this or… I say to myself … REALLY! Well then, when I see a batter doing a certain thing in the box, I immediately want my backstop to flash a signal that will take advantage of that weakness… given what spot that batter is in the batting order. Now this is really a deep topic to get into, and it requires a lot of time with a batting coach that knows his/her business. But I can tell you this: get a batting tee, place the tee in the center of the plate and the ball at waist high. Now start with a squared stance, then an open stance, then a closed stance, then a stance with your back foot back but your front foot in the normal position. Take a hack at the ball and watch where the ball goes. Then do the same thing with the tee and the ball at various position, like down and in, down and away, high and in, and so forth. See where your quality at bat is best at, and where it’s not.

Then, go through the same foot placement drill, BUT, change the positions of our hands and elbows of your arms. For example - front elbow up and out, back elbow up and ou, then le3ading elbow down and back elbow down, then front elbow up and back elbow down, and so forth. Experiment and see what is the best combination for your combined foot and arm placements.

Don’t forget, if you’re in top of the batting order, more than likely you’re making contact with most of your pitches - off your leading hip. In your in the middle of the order, then your contact is just off your midsection, and if you’re in the bottom of the order most likely you’ll make contact off your back hip.

Like I mentioned earlier, this stuff can get rather complex. But, I can tell you from experience, every good pitcher and definitely every top notch pitching coach, keeps a log of hitters and what their strengths are and what their weakness are. Some guys are solid with their choice of stance, arm and hand positions for fastballs, sliders, cutters and so forth. But a good off-speed and change-up, a knuckle, a curve and so forth will have these same guys swinging like a gate, caught looking or ground out.

Yeah, I see what your saying. I’m just wondering if it’s a good idea to switch some things now that is the beginning of the all star season, especially becuass I am playing up against old 13 and 14 year olds and I’m just turning 13.

You say you’re having a problem hitting - right? You asked for advice to correct or improve your hitting - right?

So what’s the problem? You get advice, you get a narrative plus a graphic answer to your question, and now you’re asking me if you should correct this- or those, problems/ (?)

You’re asking me for advice, then you want further advice on should I or shouldn’t I? To be totally honest with you, if you had popped that last question in the very beginning, I wouldn’t have spent the time to answer you.

Get it?

Why am answering your last question this way? Because it’s better to learn now, while you’re very young, not to waste coach’s time with the way you asked, then, finished a question about improving yourself - regardless of where you are in the season. Coaches find little and no humor dealing with your approach and your conclusions. I know my responses here are blunt, and rough around the edges, but get use to it. Trust me on this one.

Ok I understand. I’m very sorry I bothered you with my foolishness. Thank You for the tips and I will definetly apply them.

richfosc2005,
The higher you go in classification and competitiveness, coaches expect certain things. Comprehension and questions are good… any question, in fact the more the better. On the other hand, questions that have counter issues are questions that really go against the grain with a lot of us in the coaching ranks. Some players do this kind of thing to get attention, some just to argue for argument sake, while others are trying to show how smart they are, and so on. “Why ask me then” is the first thing that pops into a coach’s mind, sort of speak.

Your questions were good ones. They show an analytical approach, which for a youngster your age is very unusual and to your credit.

I thought about wrapping up my comments with something more on the lines of … being polite. However, your approach to this subject of hitting showed me a maturity factor that missing in a lot of players your age - hence my response was more on the mature side. Best wishes with your baseball experience.

Read the art of hitting by Ted Williams. It should help. If you are open and your weak spot is the outside pitch, you definitely should change your stance.
There are an incredible amount of things that can go wrong with a swing. Put in on our forum for us to take a look at it. We’d love to help.