Pulldown vs Normal Velocity/ Lifting on the same day of a pulldown problems?

I’m a RHP in the 2019 class and I have hit 83 off of a mound. Normally I have been sitting 81-83 recently and I’ve started a velocity program. I am 6’3" and 195 pounds. I lift 5 days a week. I had my first ever pulldown this last week and I had to bench on the same day for my school conditioning program. I only pulled down 80.9 and thats slower than what I normally hit off of a mound. I read that it should be 5 miles harder off a crow hop which would put me somewhere over 86 mph. Wondering what the problem was and why I didn’t pull down a higher velocity. (The numbers in the bullpen were using the same type radar gun as the one used for the pulldown.) I appreciate your input and would love any tips on how to increase my pulldown velocity, as this last one was my first one ever.

Athleticism is more of a factor with pull downs since you have a dynamic start. Your issue sounds like it was probably because of improper recovery as well. Compare your footwork with guys who have good pulldown velos and go from there. (Trevor Bauer and Casey Weathers are a good place to start)

I’ve always heard mound velocity should be about 2-3 mph lower than crow hop. Lifting and general fatigue could explain lower speed.

Work on agility, mobility, and dynamic balance drills. This will help you incorporate more of your lifting gains into productive strength. Lots of strong people can’t throw hard–this is why.

My son had the same problem this past week.

My guess is simple fatigue…too much throwing and lifting.

My boys hs team just started preseason workouts, as did his travel team. So he added three additional days of training to the velocity classes and lifting he was already doing.

His pull down came in at the same exact speed as his top mound velocity. Usually there’s a 4-5mph difference. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It should go back up with more rest and recovery.

Not sure if this is so uncommon.

More like 4-5 mph, if I’m not mistaken.

No, I’ve heard 2-3 mph differential if mechanics are efficient. Crow hop shouldn’t be more than 2-3 mph more than mound velocity.

It’s mechanical. Don’t worry about it, I’ve seen teammates sit 91 and sling 83 with a run up: doesn’t correlate directly to pitching.