Prp

Has anyone out there tried PRP therapy for a UCL injury, or know someone who has? Please comment with any experiences you have with PRP.

You might also find some info on the
http://asmiforum.proboards.com/][u]ASMI forums[/u

I’ve been associated with rehab programs where these injections have been used, and the length of time/benefit/monitoring is very complex. There’s a lot of professional hands-on people involved here and at various times along the treatment curve. Healing can be if-ee in my opinion because the individual has to be dedicated to the treatment process, under a controlled environment.

I am not a medical professional. I am not a professional involved in any medical rehab evaluation process or anything close to it. I am, however, well qualified to give my professional opinion on the progress to meet a certain time frame with a results oriented “grading” customary to the performance levels of the profession. Hence, I have found this injection therapy of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) to heal damaged tissue, to be accepted by some in the medical profession and a cautious one by others. Not that I’m painting a picture of non-acceptance across the board.

The biggest element in this picture is the individual taking the injections and following to the letter … I repeat … following to the letter all the directions and full scope of the before-during-and-after receiving the therapy.

Bottom line in my opinion - it’s expensive, time consuming, detail dictating the individual’s entire life cycle during therapy, and not fun… trust me on that last one … this stuff is serious business. Any failure to comply with even the slightest protocol by those medical professionals involved, will result in serious quality of life issues later on - big time serious quality of life issues.

This therapy, from my observations, is not for everyone. Consider how disciplined you are to follow even the most detail of instructions.

My suggestion is this:
Don’t undergo this treatment for the sake of tossing a baseball. It isn’t worth it. If this is for you, do so for a normal life.

I just wanted to add one more thing - those that failed the therapy, that I witnessed, did so by rushing the process, not listening to those administering the therapy, and let their egos override common sense.

As retired podiatrist, I used PRP, but for plantar fasciitis.
I would remove the spur (which doesn’t attach to the fascia) for bone marrow edema and then inject PRP into the fascia.
The fascia had mucoid degeneration and partial tearing.
What PRP does is start the healing process and healing takes time.
I would immobilize the foot and it would then take 2 months to heal.
The key thing is to not to stress the part during the healing process.
I hope that gives you a better insight.