Protine shakes

i was wondering how many shakes should you have a day and do u have to drink lots of water if you take protine

I’ve been drinking Whey (Protein Shake) for the past 4-5 weeks or so. It’s recommended that you only drink it once daily every day. For the best results, make sure that you work out plenty as well.

recommended by who?

you drink the protein as it would fit your diet. Its debateable but active athletes need anywhere between 1-1.5grams of protein per body weight everyday. Many people take in more then the 1.5g per, but just somewhere in that general area. If you weigh 100lbs, u want between 140-200g of protein if your very active.

After a work out I would recommend taking a protein shake along with some simple sugars to rush its flow to replenish your muscles.

You would TRY to get your protein from real food sources aside from post workout, BUT some days you run out of time, some days you may not have the proper food so just down a protein shake.

Yes your supposed to drink about a gallon of water or more because processing protein can be hard on your kidney’s so constantly downing water helps ease that process.

The more you weigh the harder it is to keep the proper amount of food without shakes. I eat 8 eggs for breakfast every morning and that’s only 30g of protein. I’m 225lbs right now. I usually take in over 300g of protein. That’s about 80 eggs, meats have a lot of saturated fat so you don’t wanna eat those every meal. Tuna is a very good source of protein. Tuna and Eggs are greatness. I’ll usually have a protein shake after a workout and then before I go to work, and on occasion before bed if I’m too tired from work to cook something new.

recommended by who?

you drink the protein as it would fit your diet. Its debateable but active athletes need anywhere between 1-1.5grams of protein per body weight everyday. Many people take in more then the 1.5g per, but just somewhere in that general area. If you weigh 100lbs, u want between 140-200g of protein if your very active.

After a work out I would recommend taking a protein shake along with some simple sugars to rush its flow to replenish your muscles.

You would TRY to get your protein from real food sources aside from post workout, BUT some days you run out of time, some days you may not have the proper food so just down a protein shake.

Yes your supposed to drink about a gallon of water or more because processing protein can be hard on your kidney’s so constantly downing water helps ease that process.

The more you weigh the harder it is to keep the proper amount of food without shakes. I eat 8 eggs for breakfast every morning and that’s only 30g of protein. I’m 225lbs right now. I usually take in over 300g of protein. That’s about 80 eggs, meats have a lot of saturated fat so you don’t wanna eat those every meal. Tuna is a very good source of protein. Tuna and Eggs are greatness. I’ll usually have a protein shake after a workout and then before I go to work, and on occasion before bed if I’m too tired from work to cook something new.[/quote]

Yep.

My father was the one who recommended that I only drink it once everyday. It’s working well for me so far.

[quote=“Taylor”]. Its debateable but active athletes need anywhere between 1-1.5grams of protein per body weight everyday. Many people take in more then the 1.5g per, but just somewhere in that general area. If you weigh 100lbs, u want between 140-200g of protein if your very active.
[/quote]
I’m curious to know who suggests 1.5g per as a guideline. That sounds like an awful lot, even for a bodybuilder.

[quote=“Taylor”]
Yes your supposed to drink about a gallon of water or more because processing protein can be hard on your kidney’s so constantly downing water helps ease that process.[/quote]

I would imagine drinking a gallon of water on its own would be hard on your kidneys. So again, where is this info coming from? I’m not attacking, I’m curious, because these numbers are remarkably higher than anything I’ve heard before, and always interested in learning new, good info.

Thank you.

1-1.5 is the general guideline from the bodybuilding industry. If you consider the affect of strenous exercise on the muscles, you need to be constantly repairing and rebuilding. That being said, I think that 1.5 is overkill. Ross Enamait suggests 0.7-0.9 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, depending on one’s activity level.(Note: I did try going with 1.5 for a while and just couldnt handle it. To put 300 grams of protein in real terms, that would be about 12 whole chicken breasts. Lots of food.)

Here is an article from the Mayo Clinic on daily water intake: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

[quote=“joejanish”][quote=“Taylor”]. Its debateable but active athletes need anywhere between 1-1.5grams of protein per body weight everyday. Many people take in more then the 1.5g per, but just somewhere in that general area. If you weigh 100lbs, u want between 140-200g of protein if your very active.
[/quote]
I’m curious to know who suggests 1.5g per as a guideline. That sounds like an awful lot, even for a bodybuilder.

[quote=“Taylor”]
Yes your supposed to drink about a gallon of water or more because processing protein can be hard on your kidney’s so constantly downing water helps ease that process.[/quote]

I would imagine drinking a gallon of water on its own would be hard on your kidneys. So again, where is this info coming from? I’m not attacking, I’m curious, because these numbers are remarkably higher than anything I’ve heard before, and always interested in learning new, good info.

Thank you.[/quote]

arnold schwarzenegger’s new encyclopedia of modern bodybuilding is a source, and would be a very credible popular source.

a book called lean bodies by cliff sheets which i often recommend for beginners just getting started on their nutrition knowledge. It’s very easy to follow and the language is very simple to follow if your not familiar with nutrition language.

I just googled this real quick for water
http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education/medical-water-kidney.htm
i’m not gonna do your research for you. If your highly active, most people would sweat out a lot of their liquids and without proper water intake would become dehydrated.

For your average person who sits at a desk 9-5 then comes home to watch tv all night, and an extremely active athlete. Nutrition is different and the needs are different.

With a high protein intake it only forces you to consume more water, and many athletes today also take creatine among many other supps that require high water intake. If or when you were to ever take supplements majority of the bottles will tell you to take at least X amount of water

No X-plode for example is right in front of me and recommends 120oz of water which is borderline 1 gallon.

I take about 1.5G of protein a day but I do weights 5 to 6 days a week, I will do sprints or plyometrics later in the day on 2 or 3 of those days. Plus I load planes which is picking up heavy packages and/or pushing 5000lb containers to the back of the plane. That’s in addition to if i play basketball or something one day. I usually won’t run if I play basketball or have batting practice or something but lots of people just work out 90 minutes a day or so. My job in itself is an extra few hours of weight work a day

Thanks for the info and the sources.

So according to bodybuilders, a 200-lb person should be taking in about 300g of protein every day? I think I’d spend so much time eating I wouldn’t have time to lift weights! :smiley:

[quote=“joejanish”]Thanks for the info and the sources.

So according to bodybuilders, a 200-lb person should be taking in about 300g of protein every day? I think I’d spend so much time eating I wouldn’t have time to lift weights! :D[/quote]

two scoops of on whey protein = about 50g of protein
8 eggs - about 30g (2 whole, 6 white)
if you have milk with your whey that’s about an extra 10g per cup
tuna i THINK is around 40g per can, i’d have to double check

its not too hard, its just like lifting weights actually. The more you lift the easier it gets, the more you eat, the more food you can eventually accomodate

Taylor, I’ve done some research as you suggested and MANY bodybuilding sources recommend 1.5-2.0g of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight — not pound.

Also there have been some studies that suggest anything above the 1.5g/per is a waste.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, only letting you know what I’ve found in my research. Maybe the information can save you some money on eggs and shakes (and trips to the bathroom!).

(FYI my findings above are restricted mostly to medical reports by colleges and MDs, with a few bodybuilder sources mixed in. Most of the magazines and websites that recommend higher doses of protein also just happen to sell and/or advertise protein powders — which skewed my faith in their claims.)

i drink protein once a day 2 scoops = 50 g of Protein but this is just starting … i’ve been working out close to 2 months and really doing alot of shoulder exercizes and tell you the truth its been working… shoulder feels strong after pitching … my bowflex is my hero lol…

Bowflex! :mrgreen: jk… Glad to see things are going well for you!

I used to use on whey in the past until I realized I couldn’t digest the wpc in it! After I stopped supplementing with it, I lost about 6 lbs… Man, fun times… :frowning:

From my perspective: Increase in protein intake=faster recovery for me… Granted, I’ve done 1.5 grams/lb, and 2 grams per lb… I recommend 1-1.5 grams per lb…

I do not notice much of a difference between 1.5 grams/lb, and 2 grams/lb other then bathroom visits…

Protein supplements a diet… I see no problem in eating a whole food meal, and adding in a protein shake to it…

I.E. Spaghetti with scoop of whey/milk, etc…

I think the nostalgia concerning protein shakes is the fact that whey protein is a supplement, and users expect to see huge gains from utilizing shakes into there routine/diet… This is simply not true, as whey protein is not a miracle supplement, but simply an addition to ones diet in order to meet there protein requirements…

If you’re on the go a lot, the addition of a protein shake can be the difference between keeping one from entering a catabolic stage, or maintaining a positive nitrogen balance.

From personal experience, the addition of protein shakes makes it easier for me to reach my protein requirement for the day… Granted, I believe my use of shakes will diminish as I get older, and become more independent, as I will probably grill more often.

Here’s what I’m hoping to get on my 18th birthday… lol

http://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/hulkhogangrill3/?cid=239298

Not a big fan of the george foreman grill, as my brother used to use one.

[quote=“lbarber4”]Bowflex! :mrgreen: jk… Glad to see things are going well for you!

I used to use on whey in the past until I realized I couldn’t digest the wpc in it! After I stopped supplementing with it, I lost about 6 lbs… Man, fun times… :frowning:

From my perspective: Increase in protein intake=faster recovery for me… Granted, I’ve done 1.5 grams/lb, and 2 grams per lb… I recommend 1-1.5 grams per lb…

I do not notice much of a difference between 1.5 grams/lb, and 2 grams/lb other then bathroom visits…

Protein supplements a diet… I see no problem in eating a whole food meal, and adding in a protein shake to it…

I.E. Spaghetti with scoop of whey/milk, etc…

I think the nostalgia concerning protein shakes is the fact that whey protein is a supplement, and users expect to see huge gains from utilizing shakes into there routine/diet… This is simply not true, as whey protein is not a miracle supplement, but simply an addition to ones diet in order to meet there protein requirements…

If you’re on the go a lot, the addition of a protein shake can be the difference between keeping one from entering a catabolic stage, or maintaining a positive nitrogen balance.

From personal experience, the addition of protein shakes makes it easier for me to reach my protein requirement for the day… Granted, I believe my use of shakes will diminish as I get older, and become more independent, as I will probably grill more often.

Here’s what I’m hoping to get on my 18th birthday… lol

http://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/hulkhogangrill3/?cid=239298

Not a big fan of the george foreman grill, as my brother used to use one.[/quote]

HEY the bowflex is great especially for shoulder exercizes lol!! but protein i used to take 1g per pound but 1.5 is what i heard… not only do i use protein to gain muscle of course working out too but i also use protein to help me gain weight trying to hit 145