Protein before game

i just started taking protein shakes and i am pitching in a pretty big game this weekend if i take a protein shake about an hour before i play will that give me lots of energy to pitch better and give me more stregnth?

Protein is generally used after workouts to stop muscle break down and to aid as fuel for protein synthesis.
I could be wrong but I don’t see any gains from having a protein shake before hand.

Also I wouldn’t make a change in your diet before a big game. Protein shakes I have are milk based and considerably thick. I don’t think you would want something like that in your stomach in 95 degree heat.

Carb loading is sometimes used. Basically the theory is that you will have more stored carbs to use for energy. However, I don’t necessarily think it is effective for baseball or pitchers.

As far are give you more strength. Strength isn’t an instant thing brought about by consuming something. A stimulant like caffine is one of the few things that I see potentialy aiding performance, via quick ingestion before an event (I am NOT recommending it, just point it out).

I have a protein shake before my game. I’ll usually mix a 1/2 cup of oats, 1 scoop of wpi, 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, and about 8 oz of milk about 2-2.5 hours before my game starts. I haven’t had any problems doing this. I treat my games as if I’m working out. Also, prior to the game, I’ll sip on some BCAA’s (scivation Xtend).

can they make you play better

Not essentially. You would be better of with a shake than say french fries and a coke, but I wouldn’t say it will give you the “boost” you are refering to.

I could be wrong but I have a feeling lbarber is using it more for recovery.
Have to wait for his response to know for sure.

Edit: I thought I should ooint out protein shake is primarily a supplement, if anything ingested could give you a boost it would be cleaning up your diet, trust me you feel better and actually have more energy when you clean it up some.

Yep, I use it for recovery, and also to provide me energy going into the games.

But in saying that, I happen to eat very clean, and are pretty much well hydrated throughout the day.

My games start at 6:30 on weekdays, and 12:30 on weekends.

So I usually have about 4-5 meals before my games on weekdays.

And on weekends: depending on what time I wake up: about 2 meals.

I focus on complex carbs, efa’s, and protein. And with every meal I have, I have atleast 12-14 grams of EFA’s.

Depending on the meal, I’ll sometimes just take a shot of Extra Virgin Olive oil. It doesn’t taste that bad, just plug your nose, and chug.