Pronation versus supination

As I understand it, pronation occurs when, after delivery, the RH pitching hand naturally rotates counter clockwise to a thumb down, palm out position. Previously I was told this is a natural motion of the throwing arm/hand and a good thing for keeping elbow stress to a minimum. I am now hearing that after a fastball or changeup delivery the throwing hand needs to maintain a palm down attitude through to deceleration. After throwing a 12/6 curveball the throwing hand needs to rotate from a thumb up position to a palm down attitude for follow through.
Throwing a football is supposed to be a good tool to be used to teach the new way of throwing as you cannot impart a good spiral if your throwing hand/arm has any pronation.
Pronation is the body’s natural action to relieve stress on the elbow, but it seems the new way is fighting that natural body action.
Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you.

Not sure where you are hearing the “new way”. A thrower should pronate through release of the ball. The hand should not be palm down through deceleration for a football or a baseball.

Look at the slow motion shots of Drew Brees in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6EguTZFK5s You see full pronation just after release.

Zack Greinke fastball - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRPtVfEz4es

The idea that you should not pronate is incorrect.

Love the avatar.

Good luck,

Ted

Yeah, Im with Ted, that “new way” is bunk.
The arm naturally pronates when throwing. This prevents the elbow joint from “banging” together.
The arm should pronate after every throw. Fastball, change, curveball ect.

Ted22,
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I receive the E-mails regularly from Steven, but only one E-mail mentions pronation as the action his arm/hand takes after throwing a changeup. The “palm down” vs pronation was imparted from a “visiting” source. I hadn’t heard or read anything about this before and so I thought it was the latest trend. The videos were very beneficial (thanks for the links, got any more??), especially Drew Brees and how his hand goes from supination before delivery, to full pronation after delivery. Looking at the videos further reinforced my view that pronation is natural and necessary to prevent injury to junior pitchers.
I appreciate your input.
Tks,
RobJ

fearsomefour,
After reading Ted’s reply to my query, I’m with you and will disregard the information that was recently imparted by a “visitor” who may not fully understand the arm mechanics when pitching.
Tks,
RobJ

RobJ,

I thought the Brees pronation was cool also. I just looked those up after seeing your post. I look at Greinke often though because I think his mechanics are very clean. Most guys really pronate on the change up. Maybe even a bit early compared to the fastball. You might google Trevor Bauer Pitch Design. He has some really good footage of how the ball should come off of the fingers.

Bedo Bedo,

Ted

Ted22,
Will Google Trevor Bauer.
Thanks again,
RobJ

Just to add some clarification, pronation after ball release is an inevitability. Pronation before release is determined by the pitcher based on the pitch being thrown. Change-ups, sinkers and screwballs are pitches thrown with pronation before release.

Then there is the Mike Marshal camp which would have you use their unorthodox throwing motion which has you pronate before release for all pitches.

That Trevor Bauer video on Pitch Design is fantastic.
He demonstrates the correct way to throw a curveball. All the “pull the string” non sense is a common teach. Watching Bauer throw his curveball and pronating after is a great lesson in and of itself.