Project vs push?

Lantz,
I’m directing this question to you and hope you see this :smiley:

I understand that you don’t like the term push when describing the action of the rear leg…

If you don’t push using the back leg, how do you get the hips moving?

What’s the best way to get the center mass moving as quickly as possible?

My understanding of a faster tempo is a faster overall throwing motion is this correct?

Thanks!

Ed

I’d be interested in this answer, too.

I have my kids get their weight centered on the inside of his back leg leading into the lift. As he’s lifting, he is also driving off the ball of his back foot. As his front leg comes up, he’s simultaneously gaining distance away from the rubber/toward home plate through a firm, but controlled back foot push off. This is getting his front hip forward early in the delivery. Pitching this way allows the pitcher to gain speed and distance as early as possible and with as little energy spent as possible. Much of his body weight is now leaning toward home and enhancing the push off from the back leg. Leading into foot plant as the pitcher quickly and forcefully transfers remaining weight and energy into the front side as the hips begin to open. These are all things I like to see.

Often people teach vertical lift, but the problem I see with the vertical lift is all of the weight is on the back leg and it takes more effort to start the momentum down the hill. This having to start again from a stop often leads to a collapse of the back knee. Not only does the pitcher have zero momentum, he now has is weight falling into the ground, which he now has to direct energy up and toward home using only his back leg. He’s getting no gravity-assist getting him toward home. It’s also slower to the plate and he will find it more challenging to get a longer stride length and chew up distance toward the plate than what I’m teaching.

[quote=“oldman”]Lantz,
I’m directing this question to you and hope you see this :smiley:

I understand that you don’t like the term push when describing the action of the rear leg…

If you don’t push using the back leg, how do you get the hips moving?

What’s the best way to get the center mass moving as quickly as possible?

My understanding of a faster tempo is a faster overall throwing motion is this correct?

Thanks!

Ed[/quote]

Tricky, tricky…

The key is creating angles and I like the concept of getting the “butt out” for two reasons,
1: create angles that allow the CM to get in front of the shoulders,
2: Load rear hip joint

By getting the CM slightly in front, it creates positive angles. One of my favorite cues is

“Driving down on a scale, trying to weigh more while moving forward.”

I don’t like the weight to get on the ball of the foot, it’s one of the reason why pitchers often land closed. I don’t like the weight on the heel b/c it’s one of the reasons pitchers fly open with the front leg. (Everything affects everything).

By getting the “butt out”, the pitcher has positive angles with the back leg that allow them to use the ground to their advantage. I personally believe the legs have one role…

Transport the CM as quickly as possible.

Guys that push sometimes create pre-mature hip extension on the rear leg and it causes:

1. stress on the groin
  2. Front hip dominant (swinging gate syndrome)

I also see a direct correlation with guys that push tend to crash rather than land softly and the arm action is influenced to push the ball as well.

Hope this helps.

I agree with you Coach Paul. Starting the linear movement toward the catcher as soon as possible (the initiation of leg left) allows you to accelerate, drive down the mound, and keep the front hip closed longer. I don’t ascribe to “getting the butt out”. I would prefer to get the front hip out, or lead with the hip, or ride the front hip. AndI absolutely agree that there is a push, drive, or kick of the back foot/ankle into a hard front foot landing.

Explain getting the butt out and how that differs from leading with the front hip. Explain swinging gate syndrome since I haven’t heard the term. Is it sweeping with the stride leg? Thanks.

Explain getting the butt out and how that differs from leading with the front hip. Explain swinging gate syndrome since I haven’t heard the term. Is it sweeping with the stride leg? Thanks.

Swinging gate syndrome, sorry made that up. I’m referring to the first move being the front leg swinging open. Different than a sweep.

Butt out, turn front hip, lead with the hip, etc… They all cues but I’m thinking we are saying the same thing. That’s why I try and limit cues to teach, my athletes coin their own terminology and cues

Ok. Thanks.