Progress video

Please watch the whole thing!!

I reuploaded it with different music, hence edit

Jimmy,
I love the progression and hard work you’ve put in to improve your craft.
Refreshing to see someone this dedicated.

Jimmy,

I, too, love how dedicated you are, but i have one question and I hope you don’t take offense to it. When will you be satisfied with your mechanics? What is your goal?

Thanks for the kind words! I really appreciate it!

[quote=“the_K_king#2”]Jimmy,

I, too, love how dedicated you are, but i have one question and I hope you don’t take offense to it. When will you be satisfied with your mechanics? What is your goal?[/quote]

I will be satisfied once I have proven that I can throw at a high velocity with good control. And even once I get to that point, there will always be small tweaks to make and more consistency to develop.

So I guess probably never, since I won’t ever be perfect. But I don’t ever want to be, I enjoy working at pitching and seeing improvements.

My teammates have made a consensus that I’m throwing mid to upper 80’s ‘easy’, but my control has been erratic, and something that should be fixable like everything. So I still have work to do and progress to be made.

I’m not offended by your question at all. In my opinion, the best athletes are always trying to get better and improve and every facet of their craft.

Jimmy
I’m very impressed by the progress. Early in the clips, your throwing hand was so late that, at landing, the forearm was still horizontal, directly leading to very little external rotation. You then obviously worked on it because the timing improved. Your “external rotation” portion showed some but you were “throwing darts” and had no real shoulder rotation, although your focus wasn’t on that anyway. Then things continued to progress. I’d say your focus should now be on getting your upper body up onto and rotating over the front leg more. Right now, it’s all happening behind the landing foot.

All in all. Good effort.

Understood. One thing to keep in mind is that command of your pitches comes from having a repeatable delivery and release point which is difficult to maintain with too many mechanical changes. Just something to think about.

My biggest focus right now is to make my mechanics the same everytime i throw and to throw with an increased level of accuracy.

I’m not focusing so much on ‘changes’ as I am as making what I want to do happen everytime I throw.

I’m saving more complicated changes for the offseason

Looking good jimster, you’ve come a long way from your Senior season in HS.

Thanks for the kind words!

If you notice in the last clip(most recent on) my head is late to pickup the target. From working on that, I haven’t a big different in the accuracy of my throws on the mound and in general, so that will be a big focus for me and hopefully will lead to better accuracy.

A small adjustment, and an easy one, but the next step in the process!

ive seen your first few videos and seen you have improved a lot.
BTW how hard are you throwing, or do you not know? I don’t even know how hard i throw i haven’t been gunned since freshman year. :stuck_out_tongue:
EDIT: let me reword my question, how hard do you throw accurately?

[quote=“gpitcher”]ive seen your first few videos and seen you have improved a lot.
BTW how hard are you throwing, or do you not know? I don’t even know how hard i throw i haven’t been gunned since freshman year. :stuck_out_tongue:
EDIT: let me reword my question, how hard do you throw accurately?[/quote]

The last time I was clocked was in the offseason when I clocked at 82 mph.

My mechanics(at best) looked like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6rPCWxa3vc&list=PLNwaKasg8nW6wKrNLOuvzL-RpQdqe4SXz&index=28

My team has told me that I throw ‘mid to upper 80’s’ now with these mechanics

My former coach said I was at, in his opinion, 85-86mph and when he saw me pitch, it was the hardest he has ever seen me throw. And he has seen me throw for the last two summers before this one.

I’m trying to get my mechanics to be consistently like this(which has been more accurate for me)

I believe that if I throw with the above mechanics consistently I will be in the upper 80’s, at least, consistently.

I made all the links url’s to conserve space, so my statement weren’t too spread apart.

Let me know if you have any more questions! Thanks for the kind words!

Looks like you have really been focusing on your external rotation and it’s gotten a lot better. that being said, you’re still struggling to integrate that into your overall delivery, and it looks awkward and forced. You’re not landing in an optimal position to apply that force…look at any high level thrower at landing and they have already started extending out towards the plate, with some lateral trunk tilt (while still staying closed with the upper half)…look at chapman’s torso angle for gods sake, now look at yours and how much you are still “throwing uphill”

Do think this clip from yesterday looks better?

I focused on getting my front leg to move forward the same time my back leg started to drive forward.

I don’t see a big difference in my overall mechanics, but my stride is getting out further and I look like I’m moving faster through my stride and finish.

Do think this clip from yesterday looks better?

I focused on getting my front leg to move forward the same time my back leg started to drive forward.

I don’t see a big difference in my overall mechanics, but my stride is getting out further and I look like I’m moving faster through my stride and finish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ebk5kPmT9M

The one problem that I’ve noticed when my torso goes forward sooner is that it begins to ‘tip’ forward, which cuts off external rotation and causes to rush.

Do you know of a drill or some drills where I can work on getting the torso moving forward sooner without ‘tiping’?

If I’m understanding what you’re incorrectly, please please correct me

Yes that clip actuality does look significantly better.

You’re more fluid and not throwing quite as uphill. I certainly can see mid 80s+ from that delivery.

And the drill that I’ve been doing almost exclusively lately has been the rocker drill, focusing on keeping my front shoulder closed, rotating off my back side (not pushing linearly) and extending out in front towards home plate. At landing I’m not saying you have to have crazy forward lean, but as you begin to rotate towards the plate, there is going to be some tilt (unless you threw sidearm). You should feel the glove side oblique activate more as you extend into release.

check out Lee at 0:25. He’s rotating on an axis, not just opening up the shoulders horizontally.

Not trying to be smart, but to me it seems that you’re focusing too much on mechanics rather than throwing. Most of the time, if your mechanics are good, which you seem to have, one can just let go and throwand the mechanics will be there. Another thing I noticed is that you seem to throw at Max effort while working on mechanics. Changing or focusing on a particular thing in your mechanics bests improves while starting slow and slowly building up. Just like a hitting focusing on leveling right to the ball. He doesn’t start in the 90mph cage. He starts at the tee. You’ll find that sometimes if you focus just on the mitt and try to stay in a good rhythm, you’re mechanics will be there. To me i see that your motion isnt rhythmic. It doesnt run at a solid pace. Its like fast slow medium fast slow fast. Along with this you should stay more relaxed. Being tensed up and erratic does not help accuracy. A fluid relaxed motion promotes accuracy. Now I’m not saying throw without intent. I’m saying stay relaxed. The more you can stay relaxed in your motion the more you can get out of your motion and stay efficient.

You nailed it right on the head. I’m pitching with a stick up my a$$ and it had lead to several poor outings.

With the help of my teammates, I’m going to work on basically exactly what you said.

I applaude you on your progress. One thing I suggest is just throwing (like mentioned before) when I was in high school I thought ever aspect if my motion 24/7 even during games and it resulted in me only throwing 75 and missing out on being recruited by big schools I wanted to go to. Once I enrolled at the Univeristy of Hartford I thought my baseball career was done since it was a d1 school, I went to a tryout and the first thin the coach told me is I think way too much, so I literally let my mind go blank, the only thing I thought about was the catchers glove and what pitch I was throwing. Next bullpen at tryouts I topped out at 85 sitting at 82-83. Sometimes less is more, dont over occupy your brain