Professional Video Analyses?

Any recommendations or personal experience?

Better pitching.com. Phil R., whom posts on here offers that service, very knowledgeable. Might try him

ASMI offers the service.

The NPA used to offer the service but when House became pitching coach at USC he had to distance himself from the NPA so as not to violate NCAA recruting rules. As a result, he formed the Rod Dedeaux Research and Baseball Institute and he took the motion analysis part of the NPA to the RDRBI. I’m not sure if RDRBI offers the service to the general public but you could inquire.

I was not aware of that.

Fun with the NCAA :roll:

The dude from top velocity does a pretty good job in my opinion.

The top velo guy is outstanding.

Understand that there is a difference between video analysis and 3-D motion analysis. Video analysis simply uses 2-D video taken using just about any single video camera. 3-D motion analysis uses multiple cameras, let’s you rotate the object to look at it from any angle, and can perform measurements such as degrees of hip and shoulder separation and rotational velocity of hips and shoulders.

Obviously, expect to pay more for 3-D motion analysis.

Thanks for the replies. I had his video analyzed by Mills.

Don’t be stingy…what did our home boy say???

Mainly: 1.over striding 2. needs lower hand break

heh heh

Just curious…what’s the going rate for analysis? Worth it?

The price is 350.00. Sounds like Ryan Mills usually does them but he was under the weather and behind so Dick did my son’s. Yes, the price was worth it. He not only pointed out those two main faults but several lesser. His pitching coaches were very helpful but once he hit age 10 and started moving faster it’s seemed hard to detect faults without the videotape.

NCCY, what faults were you looking to detect?

I say this because at 10…his mechs are going to change, likely a couple more times, before he’s half way through high school, was that sort disclaimer or discussion provided to you?

NCCY, what faults were you looking to detect?

I say this because at 10…his mechs are going to change, likely a couple more times, before he’s half way through high school, was that sort disclaimer or discussion provided to you?[/quote]

I tend to agree. In all honesty, its questionable to even bother with a $350 analysis at age 10. Puberty can completely change how a young man’s body is comprised and moves. Short kids get tall, skinny kuds get fat and vice versa. Mechanics that are suited for the body type of a kid when he is a 10 year old may not translate as he changes and becomes a 14, 15, 16 year old.
I’d be more concerned about him having fun, enjoying the game, and not over training so that he doesn’t end up having TJ when he is 13.

JD, I always looked at my son’s glove side as his main fault. I suspect he was pulling his glove to get over his front side when over striding. The best players on the ball fields where my kids play have dad’s who played baseball at a high level. My kid’s don’t have that Dad. So I learn what I can and pay when needed. No disclaimer needed. I was happy to find someone to pay for this service.

He paid for the service and found it valuable. Can we just leave it there?

Interesting to know what an entrepreneur in a tight niche can manage to get. And there are other fathers in the same boat probably considering it. Knowing what you might have to part with is helpful information as well as whether the consultant provided valuable and satisfactory knowledge.

From my perspective, I think the sooner you get a solid idea of what the mechanics should look like and what to avoid…the better for the kid. Sure paying nothing is better than forking out $350 but that’s only valid as long as you are getting the same quality. There are lots of so called experienced pitching coaches and a number of fathers who maybe over estimate their expertise and unwittingly let their kid develop bad habits. Habits that get to be irreversible.

Some people might spend that much on a glove, a bat,a monthly car payment, a grocery bill at Wally World, a plane ticket to Las Vegas, a bad night at the poker table, a handgun, …oh yeah, a television. How much is your kid’s arm worth?

Now if you want to debate if the guy is a snake oil salesman or not…

NCCY, I hope you understand that I am only trying to help others understand, if you feel the need it’s all good by me 8)

And indeed gloves and bats can exceed that cost but as Dino said, this is valuable info and asking doesn’t assign value.

JD, no offense taken. Some of you guys underestimate the knowledge you have. Pitching is complex. The terminology does not help either. How many of you have had your son come to you after a month of rough backyard bullpens and ask what he is doing wrong? Most of you had the answers. I don’t. BTW, my son is 11 1/2. He will move to 60ft. soon. He wants to continue pitching in middle school.