Professional pitchers vs amateur pitchers

why In general do professiona l pitchers throw harder with less effort? I watch guys like john lester who effortlessly throw 95 and i was wondering if its a strength issue or what? How do you crispen mechanics like he does so?

Hes a full grown man and has been throwing every, or every other, day for all of his life. You gain arm strength by long tossing. I think its something like 300 feet of long toss is equal to a high 80s fastball (or something like that). They work out at least a couple of times a week with pitching specific exercises and are on a diet that is designed to keep them at peak performance. Not to mention most of those guys have something that just clicks with them naturally. As the saying goes, “You can teach a guy how to throw a curve. But you can’t teach him how to throw heat.”

Why don’t you post a video of yourself synched up with a video of Lester (or any other MLBer of your choosing) and let the forum tell you what the differences are? There are definite differences in most youth/amateur pitchers’ mechanics to the pros - let’s check them out!

Have I got an answer for you!
You’ve noticed that most professional pitchers—major leaguers—throw harder with less effort. Those guys have learned, and applied, “The Secret”—something that has been known to them for decades.
I learned “The Secret” a long time ago, when I was getting into some serious pitching. I would go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would watch the pitchers—and I noticed that the Yankees’ legendary Big Three pitching rotation of the late 40s to the mid-50s were all doing the same thing. They were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous (and, it seemed to me, seamless) motion, and I realized that this was the real key to a pitcher’s power. Not only were they generating more power behind their pitches, they were also taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder—so they were throwing harder and faster with less effort. And not a sore arm or a sore shoulder or a sore elbow or a sore anything else in the bunch!
I made a note of it and started working on it on my own, and as I practiced this essential element of good mechanics I found that I was doing the same thing they were. Maybe I didn’t have the speed of vic Raschi or Allie Reynolds, but I—a natural sidearmer—was throwing harder with less effort, and my sidearm delivery had more snap and sizzle to it. Later on one of those guys—lefthander Ed Lopat, who made a specialty of beating the Cleveland Indians to an unrecognizable pulp—became my pitching coach, and he helped me refine that move, not to mention the crossfire and the expansion of my repertoire. I became a better pitcher than I had been—and all because of “The Secret”, which I learned and applied.
There really is nothing new in baseball. :slight_smile:

Here’s a good start:

http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/research/usedarticles/highlowpitches.htm

this is not a great vidoe and its a little old but this one i was working on hip lead. The reason i ask the question is because i feel jerky in my motion, see alot of trunl flexion over the ruber, and want to be more smooth. Any thoughts?

I think 90% of Zita’s posts are about THE SECRET :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe so—but if more pitchers knew about it there would be no need for me to keep posting about it. On the other hand, I know absolutely nothing about tiddlywinks. :slight_smile:

I just think that baseball is based a lot on raw talent. You either have it, or you dont. Its as simple as that. I think most sports are this way actually. You’re going to tell me that kids in 3rd world countries that have a hard enough time affording food have enough money to buy a t.v. to watch the MLB or pay for a pitching coach? A lot of guys either have the raw talent and then a coach comes along and makes small tweaks. Its all about feeling comfortable in your own skin.

Indeed, she must see it as a key element that many leave out, I can’t say that I disagree on that count, way too many spend a ton of effort reaching the peak of arm throwing velo and then come out and wonder how to get faster…never considering how the bottom half plays into it…then the difficulty of integrating that bottom half into an already mature delivery increases the difficulty of the endeavor. I think personally that I’d like to see bottom half integration as soon as a kid can handle the coodination of the halves (Top and bottom)…around puberty/slightly post.
Sometimes it may seem that we do run around in circles saying much the same thing…but the posters change…the questions are similar.

Baseball is funny like that. Somehow it presents us with new situations every day that we may have never seen. Yet the game didn’t change, and hasn’t changed nor will it change. After all, you see the ball, catch the ball, throw the ball, hit the ball right? It is a game that we play against ourselves, but can only be won by a team. You have to love it.

I’m with you there, jdfromfla. There are times when I find myself thinking the same thing Ed Lopat did—he told me that he often had to tell young pitchers the same things more than once, because they didn’t listen the first time. Yes, I do see this as an essential element that is all too often overlooked; I keep reading about those guys who throw with just the arm and the shoulder and then wonder why they aren’t gaining more velocity, blah blah blah, or why they blow out their elbows and sustain shoulder injuries, blah blah blah—and I wonder why a lot of pitching coaches haven’t taken notice of this before? That’s why I say that if more pitchers knew about “The Secret” and how to use it I wouldn’t have to repeat myself! :baseballpitcher:

b/c if u gave a complete detailed description of the “Secret” people wouldnt ponder to question

good thing i learned what it is, and if i had the urge i would write what it is thoroughly but i learned through alot of damn work and still working to perfect precision

Good morning, drewski.
I have been pondering how best to describe in detail what I call “The Secret” so that everyone can understand it. As I have said before, this is the real key to a pitcher’s power—but actually it is less complicated than one would suppose.
What it is, basically, is a continuous flow through the body to the shoulder and the arm, and it involves coordination of the lower and upper halves. When I saw the Yankee pitchers in action, I noticed that they were driving off the lower half of the body, which starts the process—they were using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous motion, so that the shoulder and the arm seemed to just go along for the ride. To do this requires that the two halves of the body be coordinated. Now, the key to the whole thing—the central part—is the hip action (and that’s where the good old Hershiser drill comes into play). The hips need to be fully involved in this, and this particular drill—which really doesn’t require any more than a fence or a wall in the way of equipment—will help connect the two main elements.
One thing that helped me while I was working on this was that I was a natural sidearmer. I didn’t have to worry about arm positions and all that, because I threw pretty much the way Walter Johnson used to, with a full extension of the arm. So I just concentrated on the rest of me—getting the legs, the hips and the torso to coordinate, and the shoulder and arm just followed naturally. I’m glad you caught on to this and learned the basics—I know it takes a lot of work, a lot of effort, but once a pitcher gets it the rest is as easy as scooping out a dish of ice cream!
I would advise those who are learning about “The Secret” to get together with a good pitching coach who can help them pull it all together. Later on my pitching coach helped me refine this move, by the way, which made it even easier and more effective. 8)