Professional Baseball Strength and Conditioning Contact

Just wondering if anyone has any connections to professional baseball strength and conditioning coaches? I will be graduating this year with my CSCS and my goal is to get into professional baseball, so I’m looking for any tips and advice that would help me reach that goal.

I would begin with looking in your local area, or where you will be living after you are done with school. Starting out in any industry is tough. In training there are a bunch of people for a few plumb jobs.
You may have to start out almost as an intern sort of situation. Travel teams may be interested in adding a conditioning element. In my experience most are not, but, that should not discourage you.
You say you want to work in baseball…what is your ultimate goal?

My ultimate goal is to be the Head Strength and Conditioning Coach for the Texas Rangers. But that’s a ways off. Right now I’m focusing on taking the right steps to reach that goal.

Well, like the old advice goes, find someone who is doing what you want to do and reach out to them.
I would find the most qualified baseball trainer in your area, that might be a MLB guy and see what they did. Ask advice. Some people are jerks about helping someone out or will just not respond. In my experience most people are pretty cool and helpful with advice.
Taking some post graduation classes with people in the industry is a great to continue to grow your knowledge and do some good old fashioned networking. I know Eric Cressey has a baseball training internship sort of program, look on his site.
Maybe doing something with an Alan Jaeger in relation to mental training or yoga is possible. I am just saying it will come easy (as Im sure you know) and continuing to work and seeking out opportunities will be key.

Absolutely. The key to getting where I want to be is experience. I would love to work with Cressey in an internship program haha. I could probably start with my assistant baseball coach here at my college. He was an All-American at USC and was drafted 3rd overall in the 1999 MLB draft behind Josh Hamilton and Josh Beckett.

In my above post I meant to say it WONT be easy…
Anyway, starting where you are with someone you know is a great place to start. The key thing is whether you are looking to get into baseball strictly as a trainer or as a coach as well. Tons of guys who got drafted or played college ball teach hitting, fielding and pitching…not a ton do any sort of meaningful training. Baseball remains chronically undertrained in my opinion. The specialization that comes with year round travel ball (as opposed to kids getting different training effects by playing different sports) has made the situation worse in my opinion.
So, continuing to grow your knowledge base is key. Starting something on your own outside of working for a team or organization can be good too…just dont expect to make a ton of money for awhile.
Working with ex pros can be a challenge too. I have a friend who was a mid first round pick back when throwing 93 from the left side would get to that slot. He never did any weight training beyond pretty basic stuff, no olympic lifts, never threw beyond 120 feet ect. He was really negative towards all of those things, because, he never did and pro teams he played for didnt make him.
He taught mechanics and thats it. In talking to him I realized he picked up 10 miles an hour between his Jr and Senior years of high school. What did he do differently? He played water polo that whole summer and fall.
So, got into great shape, got very strong in the core, back and legs and threw a weighted implement (compared to a baseball) several hundred time a day. He didnt teach “other” stuff besides mechanics because he thought he never needed it…never made the connection.
My point is, it is a tough spot to be in, caught between parents who think travel ball games is enough and pros who think a player has to “have it” and thats it. So, if you are looking to just specialize in training for baseball the more internships and specialization you can attain the better.
If you also plan on doing standard baseball lessons, you might have a little more leeway.
When talking of doing work with someone like Cressey or some other “star” in the industry I bring that up only because…why not you? You need a healthy dose of self believe to embark on a crowded and competitive field. Not arrogance, but, self belief.
I bring up Cressey specifically because I know he does some sort of baseball training program for people in the field. I have met him and he is a very approachable humble guy. While working through one of his books I fired a question to him and he responded in a day, he certainly is busy and doesnt have to do that. But there are plenty of folks out there that would be very good professional mentors for you.
Read, read, read. Medical studies, Cresseys’ books, Rippietoe, Boddy has a book out now, Set Pro stuff, anything you can get your hands on that relates to what you want to do.

All great things that are not only great ideas, but a necessity in my opinion. I shot off an email to Eric today and received a reply with an internship application within 15 minutes. That’s what I call service. I think working with someone like Cressey would provide me with a great start to where I want to be.

UPDATE:

It’s amazing where professional contacts will get you. I reached out to a guy my dad went to high school with. He played in the A’s and Dodgers organizations. Asked him if he knew anyone that might be able to help me, and what does he respond with? Nothing except for the personal contact information of the Yankees Director of Pitching.