Process of Weight Transfer

hey guys new to the site, love the sharing of updated info going on around

just a question because i recently went through major mechanical rework with pitcherspowerdrive and my main problem im trying to time right now is weight transfer

i want to know what the consensus is of linear drive to the plate followed by instant rotational torque… a big problem i had was my hips facing homeplate while my shoulders were in scap load to the plate… now i have myself more close with the hips just until barely lead foot touchdown

i think this is what cause my back foot to be waay off the ground during external rotation

exactly when does the push off the ground by the back leg happen? just at lead foot touchdown? in what position do the hips need to be to properly torque 100%?

a big improvement i made to my arm action was actually breathing out during the motion, which relaxes my shoulders to whip through somewhat…

ill post some recent video for analysis soon, currently 20 years old, 6’0 180 LHP, around 80-83 popping 84-5

thx, great community here i have been reading before i made this account, thx again guys

/bump

discuss?

dang i just turned 18 i’m 6’3" 160 pounds and throw 85-87 on the stalker. And I do a 10 minute workout once a week.

Drew timing is the key and for a real idea on what is happening with you I’d recommend posting a vid.
As to the work out???
Kinda random wasn’t that?

Not sure what you’re asking here. All pitchers do this (if I’m understanding you correctly).

If you’re saying your hips were opening early, then that is a problem. But you’re description doesn’t mention anything about the timing of these events so it’s hard to say much.

Yes, early rotation can pull the back foot off the ground early.

No, well before that. The only push is a sideways push used to initiate movement towards home plate.

Explain what you mean by “torque 100%”.

Staying loose is a good thing.

The push off the back leg comes from leading with your hips to the plate towards the peak of your knee lift. You keep your weight back (keep head back) to stay in balance as you break your hands and stride leg comes down.

As your stride leg comes down and your getting closer to foot plant you’ll see a lot of pros back foot more on the ball and big toe. There is no way you can keep a ton of weight on the back leg at this point so the weight is more in the middle of the body and slightly back. A good indicator of this is where the pitchers head is.

When you are getting into foot plant you have to brace the front leg by firming it up and lead rotation with the hips and almost milliseconds later the shoulders will rotate rapidly to square with the hips.

Again, a good indicator of weight is the head. After the foot plant and rotation if the head gets past “the Wall” then you would have transferred your weight on the front leg correct.

great post

im not sure how to work tihs, could you explain how it feels

like a lateral push and “squishing a bug” twisting movement?

When you lead with your hips, to stay in balance you need to keep your weight back. The moment you decide to break your hands and drop your stride leg down, you’ll feel this big rush of energy that wants to explode to the plate. It’s important to maintain stabilization and balance by keeping your head back. Once your stride leg gets out in front of you, you should feel more in control.

Here are some pics of leading with your hips and keeping the weight/head back:

great posts, i do understand and feel that rush

what i dont really understand how to feel is the hips rotating and torso torque.

It’s important to keep the shoulders closed until foot plant. The first thing that rotates toward the plate is your back knee just before landing. I’ve been watching a lot of frame by frame videos of some of the top Pros and one thing I noticed is their back knee facing the plate before they land while keeping everything else closed. Then once the stride foot plants the hips, torso, shoulders, elbow arm all do their part like dominoes, starting from the ground up. It’s also labeled as the kinetic chain by some experts.

When you rotate your back knee don’t lead with the foot, lead with the knee. Land then really pop those hips and everything else should do it’s thing.

In this pic you can really see his back knee turned in but the back foot isn’t turned over, so you can see he doesn’t rotate his knee by rotating his foot: (if you go to google images and search Roy Halladay there are a lot of pics of him like this)

Link: http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/1/0/e/e/MLB_All_Star_9240.JPG?adImageId=2833790&imageId=5374542

Tim Lincecum: you can really see his back knee turned in before landing

Cliff Lee:

Felix Hernandez: (this is just at landing but it’s turned in before)

I’m sorry but the back knee is “driving” in towards the front foot, rotating might of been a bad choice of words.