Problem

Heres my problem. I am starting to get uncomfortable with my windup, and I’ve noticed that My landing foot lands in a different spot everytime, any ideas for getting comfortable or learning to land in the same spot?

My thoughts without knowing a whole lot about you:

Try and keep the windup as simple as possible (probably basic two step) and when your doing your rocker step keep your weight balanced (don’t lean back)

for landing wise I don’t know enough to give any suggestions

well, bein a good pitcher with almost perfect mechanics, i can help you out, a couple months ago i was struglling with the smae thing as you, and here are the basic mechanics of bein a good pitcher------------

• Take a first step that helps you keep balanced the best
    *Shift your weight to your left foot(right handed pitcher) when you take your first step
    *Kick your leg high and rotate your hips a little bit towards 2nd base
    *Deliver the ball in front of your body and dont open your hips til the last second

any questions please ask

Does the same thing happen from the stretch??

If it doesn’t it will most likely be caused by your starting balance or rushing your motion.

Balance, if you don’t start balanced you you will be inconsistent with your landing. Make sure you get to a good posting position, weight over back leg, slight bend to knee [dont lockout} 60/40 balance ball of foot to heel - don’t stand flat footed.

When you start make sure you keep your weight back slightly.

Proper repetitions will fix this. I have my pitchers do mechanics daily, the more serious ones do 5 sets x 10 quality reps twice daily focusing on one part each week.

Hope this helps.

What you can try even with your mechanics is draw a line in the dirt and make sure your plant foot lands on the straight line everytime.

I used this drill to help my son and it worked great becasue 1) it showed him consistency in his stride and 2) he could do it without a ball so it was less stressful. Just to make sure, the line is drawn from the heel of the back foot and then i would mark where his toe should come down, about two inches less than his height from the back heel. doing this in our driveway, which has a slope similar to a mound, worked well too and I did the lines in chalk. We still do the drill about 25-50 times every two or three weeks.

This drill is so simple, but so effective. I’m glad Ryan shared it because I performed the drill, too, as a pro while doing shadow work in the bullpen.

The reason I liked it so much is because it allows the pitcher to see exactly how he’s aligned to the plate, but doesn’t require any throwing.

If you’re working off of an indoor, turf mound, which I often did during the off-season, place some white athletic tape down instead of drawing a line in the dirt.

Walking sideways on a 2x4 or a 1x3 is really helpful aswell. When you can do it blindfolded without losing your balance you will find your landing postion to be more consistent.

Ryan, Steven, I just want to make sure I am setting this up right. Should the landing point down the line be about 2 inches shorter than my son’s height? Also, what affect does the heel being off the line have. That is, the toe is coming down on the line, at the distance desired, but about half the time the heel kicks to the outside. Is this natural or should the foot be straight every time.

A little variation might not be too bad, from what I am imagioning here is that he is opening up slightly…I might be off in what I am thinking. If he is opening up just a little, you might wanna watch his arm angle as it will tend to drop and he is going to “spin off” toward the side of the mound which will put him in bad fielding position. Also when the hipd are opening too quickly, he is losing most of his power in his legs which is the main source of power (trunk and legs).

I hope this helps, let me know if my visualization was wrong. My brain might be burned out from those 3 business tests this week :smiley:

Usually when pitchers are inconsistant about their landing it comes from right after their back step. When they kick their leg up they to much back or too much forward, it’s better to lean forward than back because if you lean back you’re going to end up dragging your arm creating a lot of stress on your shoulder and elbow. Kind of like a domino effect. Try to use good posture.

do your mechanical work on a beam such as a 4x6 or 2x4. this has been helpful to us.
also might be rushing through delivery and pulling front side out too soon - make sure your stride leg is going down before out - helps keep everything in sync.
thanks - steve

keep it simple and find what is comfortable. if you’ve grown then your body might be out of sync. just keep plugging away at it