Pro pitchers don't use weighted balls

Especially ones in the big leagues.

Pitching in the World Series.

In the bullpen, warming-up, getting ready to go.

And DEFINITELY nothing heavy, like 2 pounds. God no. Stay within 20% of 5 oz. Sport-specificity and all that.

Hmm.

Was this before or after the towel drill?

The players that do use them are also they ones who never have arm problems. Not because they are using weighted balls, but because they have overall good throwing mechanics. If players with poor throwing mechanics started using weighted balls, they would speed up the process to an injury. Therefore, weighted balls ARE NOT the right choice to increase throwing velocity unless you have extremely sound throwing mechanics.

Weighted balls can help to correct mechanical faults and to promote good mechanics.

We see tons of guys with “poor” throwing mechanics in our facility and we hand over weighted balls (TAP ones in this case) to help them iron out their flaws, so I completely disagree.

Perhaps we can start with this question if you want to discuss it further: What are “bad” throwing mechanics?

Personally when I started seriously using weighted balls I went from 85 to 91… Coincidence… I think not. You have to be pretty efficient with your arm to move a 2lb ball fast. So on and so forth.

Kyle, you might want to check with Denver Bundy. Dylan is blaming weighted balls for his elbow injury. Personally, I agree with you. It amazing that you don’t see NFL quarterbacks having elbow injuries and they throw weighted balls (football is 15 oz) all the time.

I can’t find anything on that, and I spoke to Denver at length on the phone (before Dylan’s injury) and he was very pro-weighted balls.

Those are just the weight of the balls…they do sell weighted footballs (more than 15oz), however, I have never seen anyone use one.
If you watch quarterbacks throw the football the arm naturally pronated a lot, I think due to the weight of the ball. Been around football for a bit have never heard this as a teach. That finish position of “pinky up” seems to naturally happen with the ball that weight. Also, consider in a normal practice a QB may be throwing the ball a couple of hundred times…not always bullets or 50 yards down field, but, it is a lot of throwing.

Is that Kevin Seigrist?

Whoever taught him must know something about mechanics… he’s gone from a 41st-round 89-93 mph pick to somebody who gets it up around 97.

Weighted balls don’t work?

Allow me to elaborate a little more on Seigrist. He played at Palm Beach Community College with Alex Morales. He walked on to the program as an 81-83 mph lefty.

How ironic is it that you see “that guy” in the pen using a weighted ball? Hmmm…If I’m not mistaken he throws cheeeeeeese…

Man, my sarcasm tags don’t work well over the Internet, apparently :stuck_out_tongue:

(I thought it was common knowledge I liked them, considering my signature and the fact that Siegrist worked with Strom who is a fan and etc etc. Probably too much assuming and you know what that does…)

The Tampa Bay Rays have a throwing program they have their guys do 2x/week. I’m guessing before their between game bullpen and then post-game (just a speculation). I’ve heard it’s made up of tubing, dumbbells and weighted balls. I would really like to actually see it done. David Price swears by it. He said it took him a year to “get good at”. And, that it burns and will “leave you sore”. He took it to Detroit with him, James Shields as well. Funny, two of the most durable pitchers in the game today.

I think weighted balls are more common in pro ball than people think.
Steven cold probably comment on this better than anyone else on here.
Organizations may not endorse them or have them as a part of their “official” throwing programs, but, that does not mean guys don’t use them on their own.
I remember my grandfather talking about guys soaking balls in water or putting a kind of low stick tar on them or wrapping thin twine around them back in the day…weighted balls, although the weights were not exact.
Nothing is new.

Yes, big league pitchers use them. I’m not aware of any MLB organization that has an organization-wide weighted ball program, but individual pitchers use them throughout the bigs.

For me personally, weighted baseballs (and swimming) is strictly an off-season activity and I’d limit the overload/underload to 6 oz and 4 oz. That’s what made me successful. But others may have something else that works for them – I’ve seen pitchers use much heavier weighted balls.

Weighted balls aren’t just limited to big league pitchers. I recently spoke on the phone with Alan Dunn, the pitching coach for LSU and a former Chicago Cubs coach of mine, and he said one of his pitchers is using the WB program I have in the Articles section on my site. Dunn said the pitcher is a fringe guy who needed to try something different to break through a velocity plateau.

I can’t recall where but I read that the average nfl quarterback can indeed throw a baseball consistently 90+ mph

I doubt that is true…although how one would obtain that info is unrealistic…by having a bunch of NFL QBs throw a baseball and get gunned ect.
The football being heavier is why QBs generally have a much lower rate o throwing related injuries however…despite making hundreds of throws a day during practice.

I’m looking for the link right now I read it a long time ago but I’m determined, I think in particular it was Tom Brady or one of the big name Qbs who threw a baseball 91 and another qb threw around the same

Also different technique to throw a football and baseball, but there’s a reason the Padres drafted manziel hahaa cannon

http://youtu.be/2GtvDVm1YnI Here is a video of Colin Kaepernick (A quarterback prospect or player not sure ATM I don’t follow football) claiming he topped out at 94 with a baseball, not saying all qbs can but it seems like a trend from what I’ve heard