Pro feedback requested for my 15U son

Turned 15 this summer and is looking forward to high school ball in the spring. He is currently working with a pro once a week and is learning to ‘stay back’ and is working on timing.

Thank you

ADDITIONAL VIDEO (Side view)

It is a pretty short video with limited visibility. Try to get video of him from all angles.

In addition to posting better video, I’d like to hear what your son thinks “stay back” means and what he understands about timing.

IMO He needs to quit worrying about “staying back” and looking perfect and start learning how to “throw the crap” out of the ball.

See the posts by Baseballthinktank and the Paul Nyman series he’s posting for getting on the right track.

I agree 100% with “101MPH”. The kid needs to learn how to throw the ball—throw with intent—throw the crap out of the ball before thinking about pitching. How many times have more posters on these boards said this, and still not everybody’s listening? Take a look at the great Bob Feller—he was throwing the crap out of the ball from the beginning, and even after he had learned how to pitch he was still doing it! All the great fireballers have done it. And the kid should pay particular attention to what Paul Nyman, alias “coachxj”, is saying—the guy is on the right track. :baseballpitcher:

Very much agreed that he is too reserved and slow with his body movement. There are pauses in there which, although we can always find a pro example of someone who does this, they are exceptional athletes and “make up” for what some might call less than optimum mechanics, whatever those are.

I’d actually be curious to know what the pitching coach means by “staying back”.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your feedback. I deeply respect you and what you have been able to do in baseball and your investment in the future of the game. I never played baseball myself but I respect the game and people who have excelled and/or endured.

I sincerely appreciate the objective feedback and love it particularly because throwing harder is something I believe I can easily encourage Raine to do (and it doesn’t take a lot of pitching mechanics knowledge)

QUESTION: What is the best drill to encourage a kid to throw harder? Long toss? How far should a 15-year old long toss?

Here is the feedback on ‘staying back’ and ‘timing.’

STAYING BACK:

Raine: “Slowing your front leg down so that your arm has time to get in position.”

Pro: “Wave analogy: the body creates a rhythm, like a wave of energy going toward the target. Staying back means your letting the arm (surfer) get into the wave so the body provides acceleration as we start the arm toward the target.”

DAD: From my perspective, I thought ‘staying back’ was late hip rotation, belly button starting to point toward the catcher, and the shoulders still 90 degrees to the target (active hips/quiet shoulders).

Question: Are we all talking about the same thing?

TIMING:

Pro: "Raine is just a little late breaking his hands or a little early going forward with his body, depending upon how you look at it. When he feels the proper rhythm, watch out.

Although I ask my son questions about pitching, I rarely if ever talk mechanics to him (I wouldn’t know where to start) so again, encouraging him to throw harder should be easy (and fun). I may have to go get an umpire mask now though. Thank you so much.

Gaylon Richter

Grichter,
From what I see in the video, there is an improper drive with his lower body. I know because I myself have a similar issue. He needs to learn an aggressive hip rotation with the back hip. Watch any fireballer who throws hard and you will see that their back side isn’t along for the ride, let alone dead. So teaching aggressive drive and throwing the crap out of the ball can be done with long toss. There needs to be “intent”.

As for educating yourself on pitching mechanics, Tom House has put out a lot of information of the years, along with Nolan Ryan. This also is a great place for discussion in regards to mechanics. Stick around here and educate yourself on the subject, you will be able to help your son.

The problem here is lack of any drive or momentum to the plate. Staying back is fine but there must be drive to the plate.
The drive to the plate and intent to throw hard should be way overshadowing staying back.

The term “stay back” has different interpretations and is often a source of miscommunication. For some, it means keeping the upper half back while the lower half starts forward. For others, it means keeping the whole body back. Without proper explanation, I believe the latter is the most common interpretation. Regardless of what your son’s instructor means, that seems to be what your son is doing - as others here have already noticed. You son also seems to be following a “stay back and then go slow-slow-fast” paradigm.

I agree with the others here that your son should be moving his center of mass forward sooner and faster. This will allow more effective use of his entire body to create energy in the system. It should also help with timing to optimize energy transfer up through the body, out through the arm and into the baseball. And it will make him quicker to the plate to help him better control the running game.