Prevnt from injury

my son is 14 years old and not so tall 5-7" and weight 108, but throw 80-81 MPH. His coach says he have a chance to make it in major league. Given he is so young what do I have to do to prevent him from injuries. I have heard a lot about his bones and tendom are not mature enough and an elbow injury could be easy trhowing that hard. he love the game and dream about play big league that make me protect him from himself.

thanks and advicing would be welcome

Consider limiting…

• Number of pitches thrown in a game.
  • Number of games in a week.
  • Types of pitches.
  • Number of months of baseball per year

If it was my son, I’d limit him to 2 games of 2-3 innings (e.g. 50 pitches per game), only let him throw fastballs and change-ups, and make him take 6 months off.

You should also make sure he doesn’t have any mechanical problems.

Do you have a video of him throwing?

I wouldn’t let him throw curveballs until he’s 17. I know that everyone has there old enough to shave rule and things like that, but the plain and simple fact of the matter is that his growth plates in his arm will not close until he is about 17. Throwing “junk” pitches before then puts a pitcher at a higher risk of injury. Also, “junk” pitches are pointless in high school if the pitcher has a future in pitching because if hes got a good fastball and changeup, that’s all he needs against high school hitters. This also allows him to develope his fastball more.

Consider limiting…

• Types of pitches.

If it was my son, I’d limit him to 2 games of 2-3 innings (e.g. 50 pitches per game), only let him throw fastballs and change-ups, and make him take 6 months off.

Do you have a video of him throwing?[/quote]

in his league they do not allow curve just fastball and change up, last year he learned ( with the help of some others kid in the team) to throw curve and started to suffer pain in the elbow now he knows that can be dangerous for him. he used to pitch every 3 or 4 weeks a complete game about 5 or 6 innings (70-75 pitches) and once in a week play as stopper (1 inning - 10 to 20 pitches).
and yes I have a video (not so sure if a good one!!) and of course he has mechanical problems, some times “rush” and lost his timing, and I imagine many more. may I send it a copy to you? to your e-mail?

Consider limiting…

• Types of pitches.

Do you have a video of him throwing?[/quote]

I forgot to ask … during the in-season(november to june) and off season (usually 4 months) does he has to have any specific training phisical program?

Send it to me at chris@chrisoleary.com

Given that he’s 14, during the season and the month running up to it, you might want to consider have him do some light weight training with light (e.g. 2-3 pound) barbells and wrist weights. This includes doing some rotator cuff muscle strengthening exercises and slow-speed dry throwing (going through the motions of throwing but at a much slower speed and without actually throwing anything).

You ought to go to Dr. Mike Marshall’s site (www.drmikemarshall.com) and look up what he recommends for kids this age in terms of conditioning…

http://www.drmikemarshall.com/PitcherTrainingPrograms.html

Send it to me at chris@chrisoleary.com[/quote]

I sent you a couple of mail one frame by frame picture and th other with two link where you can download two videos from differents angles

thanks for your comments

[quote=“juan.serrallonga”]my son is 14 years old and not so tall 5-7" and weight 108, but throw 80-81 MPH. His coach says he have a chance to make it in major league. Given he is so young what do I have to do to prevent him from injuries. I have heard a lot about his bones and tendom are not mature enough and an elbow injury could be easy trhowing that hard. he love the game and dream about play big league that make me protect him from himself.

thanks and advicing would be welcome[/quote]

Don’t work him to death!!! My brother through 82 when he was 14. My dad basicly worked him to death by throwing everyday, baseball camps all the time, and much more. Don’t get me wrong, baseball camps are great but not more than 2 per season. My brother loved baseball more than anything. In high school he topped out at 92 and could throw 89-91 on demand. By this time baseball was getting very dull for him becaused he played it everyday. Over the years he lost intrested in the sport but conntinued to play because my father made him. He played for the Atlanta Astro’s and many other great teams. He could have went and played for UTK but decided not too because over the years he played more baseball games and practiced to count. My father was pretty upset with him but he got over it because my brother is going to law school. Baseball isn’t everything.

So basicly, don’t kill your son over baseball. If you want him to go pro, let it be a think he enjoys and don’t force it to him. It’s just a game and even if you throw hard now doesn’t always mean you will make it pro…

I know im only 14yrs but I know a lot about baseball