Preseason throwing in New England

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips for getting in throwing in New England. I live in Massachusetts and right now we’re buried in snow that will probably stay until the season starts. I meet with a pitching coach but can only get out to that facility twice a week. Any advice would be appreciated.

Throwing 2x per week in the winter is plenty. I would add on 3x per week at least of heavy weight lifting instead of more throwing

I used to outline such a routine, in detail, along with other criteria’s. Hence, your pitching coach should have an itemized plan for addressing the seasons of this sport and your specific needs. Your age, build, tolerances and set of goals are critical here. As this offseason comes to an end and preseason beings, your body should have a nutrition plus workout schedule tailored not only for this pre-preseason, but also for preparing you for the demands of increased physical activity. You don’t need a gym or training facility to do this. Nor do you need expensive station-by-station apparatus either.

Ask your pitching coach for such a set of training templates that you can use as a checklist, every day. That’s what your coach is for, by the way.

I should qualify what I just posted here. My remarks were for based on the requirements for mature men, physically conditioned 12 months out of the year. And as each had their own training template, their progress was tested at a point in time, warranting their return to a roster - or not.

Coach B.(retired)
Springfield, MA

What I have my kids do during winter and rainy days is to get a tube sock and tie a knot at the seam where the toes would be. Place a baseball inside the sock then put your hand/ arm inside the sock leaving about six inches of space between the hand and the end of the sock where the knot is tied. Then pull the sock over the forearm up or close to the elbow. Then get medical tape or duct tape and secure or tape the sock just at the base of the hand / wrist. Make certain the sock cannot slip offf the arm / hand as you will be throwing the baseball and letting it fly inside the empty six inches at the end of the sock. You can get your normal throws as well as a simulated long toss indoors. Please be aware not to cut off circulation when taping over the sock behind the wrist. But, make certain the sock will not slip off due to tape not being tight enough to secure the sock

Here is a video that shows you how we do it.

Hope this helpsc

I do this every winter.

This is fantastic. I live in Michigan, where we are usually buried in snow until April at least. This finally gave me a way to work on my throwing without having to wait for months. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you all for the responses! The drills and advice are all appreciated!