Preparing for High School Baseball Advice

I am a freshman and my baseball conditioning for my high school begins in January and and tryouts are in February. I am planning to try out for pitcher and middle infield and I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

(1) Take care of your priorities first - homework, part time job, family chores, stay out of trouble and those that bring trouble to you.
(2) Habits that keep you in step with a good start on the day - plan the night before with what you’re going to wear for school the next morning, prepare the night before your school lunch if you take one, place what you’re going to take to school in a convenient place so you won’t be wasting time looking for stuff. DO YOUR HOME WORK COMPLETELY.
(3) Remember that in a few months you’ll be upping your demands on your time and compressing that time to fit into an athlete’s schedule. This means - your sleep, diet (breakfast/lunch/supper) had better support the demands on your body.
(4) Be realistic about what you bring to the field. Don’t compare yourself to others that are bigger, stronger, older than yourself. That’s just self defeating.
(5) Understand that there are players that have held down a position(s) long before you arrived. These guys are probably going to stay at those positions, and as such, they won’t be too happy about someone trying to take their job(s) on the field. Just remember - when you get to that point, you won’t appreciate the guys that are freshmen trying to take your job(s).
(6) Avoid groups that down play and gossip about others. These guys are weak with self respect, weak with integrity, and weak overall in everything that you don’t want.
(7) Rookies always find it hard to adjust, for the first few weeks, so don’t think that you’re the only one going through this phase. Just deal with it.
(8) Above all, the coaching staff has a job to do, and sometimes it may seem like they’re playing favorites, somebody doesn’t like you, and so forth. Just remember, you’re one of many and these men have been there longer than you and that you’re just passing through. Next year, you’ll see the same process played out with the same coaches and a new crop of players will be going through what you’re about to do. So, try and not make the coaching process and more difficult than what it is. Just go with the flow, keep an open mind, and let the chips fall where they man.
(9) Finally, you’re about to see a part of life that goes well beyond your current high school experience. Be observant, take mental note, and above all remember that you’re only one of many competing for a place in life. It’s that “competing” that you’ll have to deal with when your out on your own, so pay attention how this process work, and who’s working it.

Excellent advice Coach B. One item of advice I’d add to your nutritional advice is pack lunch the night before and bring your own. Today’s school lunch nutritional standards dictate schools provide lunch that is woefully insufficient (calories) for athletes. At my sons school they allowed alacarte. Due to the sheer nastiness of many of the foods he loaded up on side items and chips and other empty carb selections. Result is hunger and weight loss. I know the lunchroom manager personally; a very fine lady. Unfortunately the parameters they are given offer choices that seem to assume all kids are already overweight. Last statement is my opinion, she only says she feels sorry for the kids. Bring your own and you’ll be much better served.

I agree with everything stated so far. Here’s my add

1. Remember - you are being watched for not only how you play, but how you fit in to the rest of the team. If you’re screen name is a direct resemblance of who you really are - you might want to change it and your personality.
  2. Always Hustle. hustle in - hustle out - hustle to the batting cage - hustle to the water cooler - hustle to the team huddle. Don’t walk anywhere.
  3. Play your game - play within yourself. If you’re a superstar, it will show. You don’t have to try extra hard to prove it.
  4. Be a good teammate. Cheer on your other potential teammates like they already are your teammates.
  5. Address your coaches and assistant coaches appropriately. Yes sir - no sir - yes coach - no coach.
  6. It’s ok to say “I don’t know” if you really don’t. Don’t try to BS your way through anything. Coaches want to coach to you. Let them.
  7. To go along with #6 - be coach-able. If a coach tells you to do something in a particular way - do it that way. If it doesn’t work - feel free to discuss this with the coach after practice. Most good coaches I know want your input, but not during the middle of practice.

Well, that’s all I can think of for now. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks guys, I’ll probably start a log when the time comes closer if you guys want to stay informed.

I agree with everything said but just in case you should always have a second position as a backup that way you can play in more games and not overtax your arm trying to throw a bunch of pitches.

How did your season go? Are you playing summer ball?