Preparations for the Upcoming Season

Hey guys, long time no see.

I don’t think I’ve posted on here for about half a year (probably about right). Anyways here’s my story:

I’m 18 years old, 6’2, 200 lbs. I throw mid 70’s, with a nasty slider + change-up. I’m in university, as well.

Last season, I played in an A-ball league and pitched really well, I was the workhorse, and subsequently pitched most of the games.

This year, there is no more A-ball (I’m too old now, so they cut out A-ball). I’ve gotta try out for a team to make it. The tryout is coming up soon (probably in about 3-4 weeks), and it’s basically just for me, the rest of the team is mostly picked.

I’ve been working out all offseason, doing my squats and all that business, so that’s not a problem.

My problem is two fold:

1. I’ve been playing dodgeball (that’s a no-no for the elbow tendon) for the last couple of weeks, and I’ve been feeling it in my elbow. I feel responsible to play on the team because I’m the captain, and frankly, they have no chance without me.

2. I forgot my baseball glove at home. I brought it home a while ago and I guess forgot to bring it back (smart guy, I know).

Here are my questions:

1. What do you think I should do about dodgeball? Keep playing, take the week off before my tryout? Playing won’t be that bad so keep going? Or just be careful and stop when I think that I need to?

2. Is there anything besides the obvious throwing that I can do to prepare for baseball? I’m itching to throw but without a glove and partner it’s kind of hard. Should I just try and focus on my mechanics? Or jut relax?

Thanks in advance.

70 views and no replies? Come on, no need to be shy.

1. If baseball if important to you I would take a week off from dodgeball just to be safe.

2. If you have 3-4 weeks I would start throwing 2 bullpens a week just to get ready for your tryout. If you cant find a catcher just set up a target and throw to that.

Defalco32,

Your best bet would be to drop the dodgeball. If you have goals to to make a team and the dodgeball is irritating your elbow then you don’t want the dodgeball to effect your tryout. I’m sure you would regret playing dodgeball big time. Sometimes you only get one shot. Make the most of it!