Pre-Tryout

My tryouts are a month and a half from now, and instead of waiting til the last second, I want everything in front of me…

What should I be doing leading up to a week until?
What should I do the week before?
What should I do the day before?

If anyone can help me with these, I’d appreciate it.

What have you been doing up until now?

First of all, get yourself “in shape” … meaning, do 25-35 minutes of cardio activity 3-5 times per week. It’s best to get a mix of activities for your whole body, for example, running, biking, plyometrics, swimming, circuit training (weights), swiss ball, and/or good 'ol calisthetics.

It takes about 4-5 weeks to get “in shape”.

Not sure what part of the world you’re in, but if you can get outdoors then the next thing after cardio would be throwing — as long as you get into it GRADUALLY. Starting with maybe 20-30 throws per day and slowly working up to maybe 65-75, mixing in long-tossing, after 4-5 weeks.

If you’re a hitter, then you will want to get as many swings as possible, both off pitching and off a tee.

Basically, you want to already be in peak condition and have your arm ready to throw at or near 100% when tryouts start.

I’ve thrown a little. I live in Pa and its just stating to get cold. The only thing keeping me from running was my achilles injury. It’s getting close to being fully heeled, but i dont want to risk it yet.

Til this week I’ve been lifing and throw every once in a while. (this week i’ve been sick :cry: )

Sounds like you need still need to get back into in-season condition. Also sounds like you have the time to do so. I think Joe gave you some good advice - especially the part about doing it GRADUALLY. Work back into your throwing and conditioning gradually while taking care of the achilles injury.

i’ve been going to the batting cages. I’ve thrown a little there too. I feel really good throwing right now, and my hitting is cooming along, somewhat.

Now i just need to get in shape :frowning:

i’ve been going to the batting cages. I’ve thrown a little there too. I feel really good throwing right now, and my hitting is cooming along, somewhat.

Now i just need to get in shape :frowning:

ok, what I do is run everyday until you are about a week away from Try-outs then start throwing long and far, so then you can have your arm all there, or, throw everyday for at least 20mins…

Working on the core is often a good thing as well, keeping you strong and helps your hips along for a nice pop for your throws. About 100 sit-ups are good enough and if you’d like to, I’d try some weighted bench dips. Basics are a good thing to go back to, try practicing your throwing motions without a baseball and think of something that you might be able to improve on. Have a friend watch you or tape yourself going through your motions. These work well enough for me but if they don’t work for you, listen to the others. :lol: