Pre-Season Practices ... How Cold is Too Cold?

Interested to hear what you coaches out there think. I’m coaching a LL Team and we’ll be getting started soon, just wondering what the consensus is so I don’t have the parents revolting … how cold is too cold ??

So long as the baseball field’s clear of snow, I’d say it’s OK to practice outside in cold weather. As a youth player in upstate NY, I’ve certainly had quite a few practices in cold.

Let the kids wear jackets except for throwing, when they should come off. Also, make sure your LL’ers warm up properly with a jog and good stretch.

Good input. Along those same lines, what about mandatory sleeves? When I grew up it was dictated that pitchers ALWAYS had to wear sleeves covering the elbow to prevent against sore arms. Fact or Fiction ??

Let me share a couple of thoughts about what I do to help us practice fielding and throwing in general in cold and/or wet weather.

All you need is a big expanse of asphalt.

I buy those orange, dimpled, ATEC balls and use them for practicing throwing and fielding hops.

I buy low-bounce street hockey balls to practice fielding grounders. They simulate the action of a ball on a clay infield and force my guys to keep their gloves down.

Its been no higher than 30degrees here (Indiana) and we have been on the field almost everyday. I have about 5 layers on when Im not pitching, but none the less I think its best to be on the field to get a better experience.

Today I get to throw 90pitches in a scrimmage and its 22degrees outside with a windchill of 17…WHAT FUN :):):slight_smile:

ND HERE WE COME!!!

Being in CT., the March practices that we run for 13 year old Babe Ruth players during the cold weather is mostly conditioning. Running and stretching can be done in any type of weather. Even if we only practice for 1 hour or so, it is great the amount of base running drills you can get in because the players want to keep moving to stay warm. Then we finish up with the last 15 to 20 minutes with throwing drills/long toss. Once April comes, and the temps break 40, we than can get into hitting/fielding/pitching aspects of the game. The one thing we have noticed is that the players are conditioned well at this point also.

If it gets below 55 we shut down the town. I just had to get that in guys.
It was 72 today, great baseball weather. I feel for you all.

[quote=“RTusk40”]Its been no higher than 30degrees here (Indiana) and we have been on the field almost everyday. I have about 5 layers on when Im not pitching, but none the less I think its best to be on the field to get a better experience.

Today I get to throw 90pitches in a scrimmage and its 22degrees outside with a windchill of 17…WHAT FUN :):):slight_smile:

ND HERE WE COME!!![/quote]

Holy Cow! We don’t even get to have tryouts in Maryland until March 1!