Powercurve

How do you throw a powercurve

use ur regular curveball motion and throw it as hard as u can. when i do this mine breaks more like a powercurve.

Francisco Rodriguez’s “slider” is actually a power curve with lateral movement. Tim Lincecum and Felix Herdadnez throw a power curve. I have pics of Lincecum’s grip and a description of how he throws it as explained by his father I will post when I find them.

what i’ve been thaught is to throw a curveball really hard and it’s better if you throw it 2-seambecause the break will be so sharp on a 4-seam grip that it’s more then likely going to break and hit the dirt 3 feet in front of home plate

You know, I was thinking about asking the same question. I’m not positive, but I believe a powercurve should have more velocity and more vertical movement than a regular curveball. Not quite sure, though…

a powercurve is pretty much a curveball that starts on a straight plan. aj burnett throws one bobby jenks or pretty much everybody that throw hard usually have one because it looks fastball but then starts to break down like a splitter to an extreme degree

go see thelast pitch in there

04.20.2007 | Jenks gets save: 400K

http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player_media.jsp?player_id=408057

that is a powercurve

Jenks and Burnett use a knucklecurve grip. Although, there are others who use a knucklecurve grip but don’t have the same velocity on it, such as Oswalt. Zumaya’s curve can be considered a power curve since it’s in the mid 80’s. Only those who throw hard can generate enough force and spin on the ball to get a power curve.

Here is Lincecum’s grip.

Lincecum throws it with the beginners curve grip like Beckett it looks like.

Any stuff on how lincecum actullay releases it and everything?

Here is his father’s description of how to throw it. Taken from this link http://baseballevolution.com/richard/chrislincecum.html

He has two hard breaking curve-balls: His bread and butter which he’s thrown since he was about 8 years old. His body mechanics are the same with his breaking balls as it is with his fastballs. The key to having a sharp-breaking curve is the amount of spins and always using a fast arm speed created by using total body whipping mechanics (and a soft grip just like he throws every pitch-What I show anybody that wants to know is that when you hold a ball too firmly the wrist tightens up and end of the whip never takes place. This usually causes sore arms in the bicep and elbow).

The mechanics he uses along with maintaining core muscle strength (and most important the small muscle strength) is why he can throw for so long, while still maintaining his velocity late in his games (even after throwing 125+ pitches). The small muscles are the wrists, elbow, shoulder, lower-back, groin, and around the knee and ankles…

1.) The so-called 12/6 curve is held with the index and middle-finger close together with the index touching and on the left part parallel to the seams when they are closest together on the ball. Pulling the ball down on the same plane as his arm (and “letting” the ball release as apposed to forcing the ball with a snapping wrist so the ball rolls off his fingers). The angle of his shoulders is the key to the direction of the break.

2.) The 2/8 so-called curve has been my favorite and is the first Tim learned and actually breaks twice (over to the left toward a left-handed batter and down). It’s held basically the same as the 12/6 but is deeper in his grip (being held with more of his two fingers and thumb as apposed to the holding it between the middle and second joint on the fingers). The angle of the break is again created by the angle of his shoulders which are at a 2/8 angle (as though you are looking at a clock from the mound).