Power pitchers and splitters

Would you say the splitter is a pitch only the power pitcher should throw since mostly power pitchers throw it. Such as Clemens, Smoltz, Zambrano, Schilling, Haren, Harden and Papelbon

not really

notice schilling, smoltz and clemens kept their splits after the old age velocity decrease

its not about the power/velocity with the splitter(although it is nice)
its the deceptiveness
like a change you see fastball and get a break
only difference the batter has less time to swing

yes but they developed it when they were power pitchers in their younger years so i guess my question is if you are younger and not a power pitcher should u not use a splitter

It’s a good question. I’ve also noticed that power pitchers tend to go w/ the slider over a curveball. And those who throw curveballs tend to throw change ups and not splitters. I think typically they throw those (split and slider) more often because they look just like the fastball. Hitters are geared up for that straight heat, but have to keep in mind that the pitch might fall off the table or break away from the sweet spot of the bat. While the curveball and change up are effective, if they don’t look like the fastball, and they’re hung…they’re gone.

Some power pitchers do throw the curveball, like Verlander and Beckett, but they also have late breaking pitches.

And in Ryan Dempster’s case, he doesn’t power through any hitters, but he does get a lot of movement.

i was stating the fact that they still used/use it after the velocity decrease

clemens threw all of them

that is because they both break down
you wouldnt throw a split and a sinker

dan haren throws them all too

[quote]and they’re hung…they’re gone.
[/quote]

same with the split and slider

doesnt Wang throw a sinker and splitter

doesnt Wang throw a sinker and splitter

For a limited amount of time. His splitter complimented his slider like his change up complimented his curveball.

[quote]that is because they both break down
you wouldnt throw a split and a sinker[/quote]

Carlos Zambrano

Oh, and tell me who throws a sinker that goes straight down again.

Except that if you’re fastball is good enough, it will still throw off the hitter. Those pitches are too similar. This is why Carlos Marmol can afford to hang a slider (when his fastball is 95).

To answer the original post,

Pitchers throw the split because they can’t throw a changeup. Although, some do throw both.

Tim Hudson does, but he primarily goes with the sinker. A sinker doesn’t go straight down. There is some lateral movement as well, more than a splitter. A sinker is also faster than a splitter.

No, Wang throws a four-seamer, sinker, slider, and changeup.

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2007/08/25/wang-returns-to-form-at-the-right-time/

apparently he does on occasion. there was a clip on youtube a whiles back where he threw one(i think) to ichiro who tapped it and had it die right in front of the plate

heres the clip. cant see the grip though.

http://www.livevideo.com/video/GTKING/2E74A096494743E293BCF7CD65AB6554/wang-chienmin-40-inconceiv.aspx

[quote]Oh, and tell me who throws a sinker that goes straight down again.

[/quote]

its not a splitter
he uses two different modified two seam grips for more or less break

most asians(chinese,japanese) do
okajima, dude in the little league world series(hawaii,west), matsuzaka

nah, i just think that if its thrown right and looks like a fastball (until it breaks) it will be effective

Ehem,

Both are from this year.

oh
i was wrong
he showed his grips on youtube and he didnt show that one

i dont understand why he would throw a sinker and split

it still might be a sinker
look at the index finger in the second pic

[quote=“kelvinp”]oh
i was wrong

look at the index finger in the second pic[/quote]

no thats a splitter grip and the sinker and split aren’t the same since the sinker goes down and away plus the splitters break is more late

[quote=“kelvinp”]oh
i was wrong

look at the index finger in the second pic[/quote]

no thats a splitter grip and the sinker and split aren’t the same since the sinker goes down and away plus the splitters break is more late

If you watch that video of Zambrano from what I recall the guy asks him to show his sinker and he shows the normal sinker. Then he shows his “other sinker” that breaks more and the announcer asks if he threw a splitter too and Zambrano said yeah. Yes they both sink but remember 3 inches differnece in the way a mall moves is a lot at the MLB level where pitchers throw as hard as they do.

Best clean cut example is Rivera with his cutter. Doesn’t move a lot yet still effective. Only a few inches differnece than a normal fasbtall.