Post your Pre-Game routine!

My pregame routine has been the same for years. This is what I do for a 7:05 gametime start.

I get to the ball park at 5:00 for home games. I’ll do almost nothing besides maybe watching some tv from 5-6 in the clubhouse. At 6:00, I’ll begin getting dressed, and take a couple of advil. At 6:30 on the dot I’ll be on the line to begin my light stretching and dynamic warmup. This will last roughly 12 minutes. At 6:42 I’ll begin my throwing program. It’s an easy step by step program with a step behind crow hop. When I work it back in from about 150’, I’ll get to 50’ and throw all my pitches, just playing catch. I’ll be in the bullpen at 6:50, for about a ten minute side session. Usually, this includes groups of 3. 3 in, 3 out, 3 changes, 3 sliders, 3 cb’s. etc. I’ll do this from the windup and the stretch, and my last few pitches will be a sequence to a hitter and then that’s it. I’ll be in the dugout at 7:00 getting a cup of water, then it’s gametime!

Let’s hear your guys routines!

Like I said in the thread I posted yesterday, I don’t have a pregame routine. The pre-game schedule for my team is so unpredictable, I never really know how much time I have to establish a routine.

Explain to your coach that you would like to get into a routine to help you get ready before games and tell him how much time you’d like to have. Maybe get your fellow pitchers to do the same. If enough of the pitching staff wants to do that, it may pressure your coach into being more predictable.

Does your team have a pitching coach? If so, then maybe he’s the coach you should talk to.

Games should normally have a scheduled starting time (except maybe for travel ball or other tournaments where schedule slide) so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

[quote=“Roger”]Explain to your coach that you would like to get into a routine to help you get ready before games and tell him how much time you’d like to have. Maybe get your fellow pitchers to do the same. If enough of the pitching staff wants to do that, it may pressure your coach into being more predictable.

Does your team have a pitching coach? If so, then maybe he’s the coach you should talk to.

Games should normally have a scheduled starting time (except maybe for travel ball or other tournaments where schedule slide) so it shouldn’t be too difficult.[/quote]
Yeah we have a pitching coach. I will try to get into more of a routing this season. Thanks Roger.

For a 7:00 game I get there at 5:00. I stretch and do dynamic warm-ups for 45 minutes. Then I will long toss for 15 minutes out to 220 feet. Then I will take batting practice for a half hour. Then I’ll go to the bullpen. I throw for 15 minutes then I pitch for 15 minutes. Then it’s gametime.

We don’t really have a set in stone rotation. We don’t have a lot of players and our schedules are erratic so we sort of go by who our coach thinks matches up against that particular team the best so I just do our team warmups and if I’m told I’m pitching I get in the bullpen until it’s almost game time.

Jog for about five minutes, stretch briefly, and throw lightly for 10ish minutes at like 30-50 feet. This gets me looser than any dynamic warmup I’ve ever done. Stretch it out to around 180-200 feet for maybe five minutes, bring it back in, chill for like 5 minutes, and go warm up.

[quote=“Hammer”]My pregame routine has been the same for years. This is what I do for a 7:05 gametime start.

I get to the ball park at 5:00 for home games. I’ll do almost nothing besides maybe watching some tv from 5-6 in the clubhouse. At 6:00, I’ll begin getting dressed, and take a couple of advil. At 6:30 on the dot I’ll be on the line to begin my light stretching and dynamic warmup. This will last roughly 12 minutes. At 6:42 I’ll begin my throwing program. It’s an easy step by step program with a step behind crow hop. When I work it back in from about 150’, I’ll get to 50’ and throw all my pitches, just playing catch. I’ll be in the bullpen at 6:50, for about a ten minute side session. Usually, this includes groups of 3. 3 in, 3 out, 3 changes, 3 sliders, 3 cb’s. etc. I’ll do this from the windup and the stretch, and my last few pitches will be a sequence to a hitter and then that’s it. I’ll be in the dugout at 7:00 getting a cup of water, then it’s gametime!

Let’s hear your guys routines![/quote]

Probably a very stupid question… But why do you take advil before a game?

Stretching with the cather, doing a few laps between poles, short toss, long toss, 25 pitches or less in the bullpen at 70%-90% then game time.

Get at the park early, with my eyeblack and all of equipment on. Take some bp. Warm up with team. Then warmup with catcher.

1pm Game:

Get to the park at 11am

Get all my equipment on, spikes included, glove, pants how i would wear them.

11:15: Start my running, usually some poles, just to break a sweat.

11:25-11:35 Stretch with a little active warm up.

11:45: Stretch and run as a team.

12:00p: Start throwing, try to get to around '145 ft. Depending on what I need to get loose for that day.

12:15: Play catch with the catcher, catching me. Throw some different pitches.

12:30: Watch a little of our infield. See who’s ready and who’s not.

12:40: Bullpen to get ready. Work outside/inside fastballs, change-ups. Throw curve’s to get the right feel for them. End with a solid fastball.

12:55: Dugout to get some water. Then I personally don’t like to sit down before a game. I like to walk around and stay up.

*If I am not starting that day. I do everything with the team. And help out with the infield including coming off the mound covering 1st when the 1st baseman has to turn 2.

Hey guys I was wondering if i should do the bands before i pitch?

YES do the bands before you pitch, it is a great way to warm your arm up