Position of hands

Im considering trying a small mechanical adjustment by changing the position of my hands during the windup. They are currently at my chest before I break them. Im going to try to lower them so that when I lift my knee my hands are right above my knee. Currently my arm lags a little bit behind my body and Im hoping that this will shortin the distance my arms have to travel before I make any serious timing adjustments. Any thoughts…I cant really post any video right

it’s worth a try. Sounds like a reasonable, well-thout-out theory.

Just make sure that it is truly your arm lagging instead of something else (like shoulder rotation) being early. Otherwise, you won’t be fixing the problem.

Thanks for the replies, Roger, what do you mean by delayed shoulder rotation, what are the symptons of this mechanical issue, and how would one go about fixing it if you can explain it without being able to see me throw through video

I have found that this tweak has helped several of the guys I work with.

It’s also what guys like Clemens do.

sounds good to me thanks Chris

chelly
Do you have video that you can stop at the point where your front foot has landed and borne weight? What position is your throwing arm/hand in at that time. I’d say you need to experiment and get feedback through video and maybe radar, if you have that option.

[quote=“dm59”]chelly
Do you have video that you can stop at the point where your front foot has landed and borne weight? What position is your throwing arm/hand in at that time. I’d say you need to experiment and get feedback through video and maybe radar, if you have that option.[/quote]

I’d also pay close attention to what the front side is doing at that point. If it’s opening up already, then it’s not giving the backside (i.e. the throwing arm) the time it needs to do its thing. In this case, the fix would be with the front side - not the throwing arm.

Delaying shoulder rotation is about maximizing the power from the shoulders. In order to get the most from shoulder rotation, the shoulders need to delay long enough to allow the hips to fully rotate. That creates maximum hip and shoulder separation and maximum stretch in the torso. If the shoulders rotate early (like can happen when the glove is pulled back or when a balance/posture problem makes you fall off to the side), then velocity is reduced and, if the pitcher attempts to compensate with the arm, more stress is put on the arm.

And additional benefit of delaying shoulder rotation is that the body continues to track forward which means the release point moves closer to home plate.

DM’s point is hinting at rushing which does sound like it could be what you are describing.

What problem are you having, if any? How do you know your arm is lagging behind your body?

Are you consistently elevating the ball (missing up)?

I generally have consistency problems from game to game. When Im on Im on and when Im off Im way off. I tend to miss away quite a bit and I do miss up in the zone. I don’t really have a problem with velocity however this seems to be inconsistent, generally varying from 81 to 82 and then some days 84 85. My control became more consistent when I would concentrate on speeding up my arm action so that when my hands break I bring the throwing hand right up to where the ball is facing second base immediately, however when I did this I felt more stress on my shoulder. I will do my best to get video DM, I am currently at West Chester University in PA as a transfer student so I got here too late to tryout for this spring…Ill be trying out as a sophmore next fall so its tough to find a catcher who’s not on the team. There’s a local all star baseball academy that does do video so Ill see what I can do. Thanks for the help everyone.

It sounds like you may have a problem with rushing.

Also, it isn’t necessary to show the ball to 2B or CF. In fact, it can cause elbow and/or shoulder problems.

If you look at guys like Maddux, Ryan, Seaver, and Oswalt, they show the ball to SS or even 3B.

If you open up too early, that can cause the arm to drag (relative to the front side) which typically pulls the release point back and raises it up. Throwing up and in, or over-correcting and throwing down and away are common symptoms. I still see this as a possibility that you should consider.

If you open up too early, that can cause the arm to drag (relative to the front side) which typically pulls the release point back and raises it up. Throwing up and in, or over-correcting and throwing down and away are common symptoms. I still see this as a possibility that you should consider.[/quote]

This kind of inconsistency, and opening up too early, can be caused by flying open with the glove.

Does your glove end up around your GS pec or out to the side?

Actually my glove side generally stays tucked in after everything is said and done because my summer league is basically like my spring and the fall season for west chester would b my summer I still have some time to try some things so I am going to try to experiment with both of these. I do understand that when you change something you cant expect improvments right away so ill be sure to implement them for a few weeks.