Poll:Hey, Blue! No. 022

R1, no outs: R1 is moving on a hit and run. The batter slaps a hard line drive on which F4 makes a diving try, but he misses and falls in the path of the R1. R1 stutter steps and jumps over the prone F4. F9’s throw nabs R1 at second base on a close call.

• the umpire rules interference and because the runner must avoid a fielder in the act of fielding a ball
  • the umpire rules obstruction and awards R1 second base because F4 was not in the act of making a play on the ball at the time of the obstruction
  • the umpire lets the play stand because both players were simply doing their jobs and got to the spot at the same time
  • I thought these umpire questions were abandoned months ago

the umpire rules obstruction and awards R1 second base because F4 was no longer in the act of making a play on the ball at the time of the obstruction. Even though F4 made a legitimate attempt at the ball, once it gets by him, he’s no longer protected by the interference rule. Unless he came up with the ball, it’s now up to him to avoid the runner. If in the umpire’s judgment R1 would have reached second base before F9’s throw without the stutter steps and jump, then the umpire may call time and award the base to R1. There is no specific number of bases awarded due to obstruction. It’s the umpire’s judgment of what would have likely occurred had there been no obstruction.

Argh, got it wrong :cry:

I try to make all the options sound ‘reasonable’. Some are even the way I’ve seen people umpire incorrectly over the years.

By the way, last week I passed my umpire annual exam with a 94% and one of the questions I got wrong, I clicked the wrong answer by mistake. I was not happy with myself.

I’ll try to put a few more of these up for ‘Spring Training.’

Good luck!

Really do like these a lot!

Congrats on the almost perfect score!