Poll: Cutter or Slider?

Which pitch do you prefer? Cutter or slider?

I prefer a cutter. Especially when paired with a good tail or running fastball it can be devastating. Even Major Leaguers have trouble when a pitcher can make the ball move both ways, just look at Halladay.

I had a slider which I nicknamed “Filthy McNasty” after a character in an old W.C. Fields movie because that was exactly what the pitch was—it had a sharp late break. I threw it sidearm, as I did with all my other stuff, and I crossfired it a lot, and I got the biggest charge out of seeing what it did to opposing batters—much of the time they would swing and miss and lose their balance and fall over backwards on the ol’ gluteus maximus with their arms and legs (and often bats) in the air like so many overturned bugs. The slider was my strikeout pitch, and my next best one was a very good knuckle-curve.
I didn’t have a fast ball to speak of, but if I did I might have worked on a cutter like the one Mariano Rivera has. But I did have a very good arsenal of breaking stuff, and I could change speeds on all of my pitches. Of course, the important thing, and I never forgot it, was to get ahead of the hitters—I considered the most important pitch to be strike one—and stay ahead of them. Ahhh—those delicious outs. :slight_smile: 8)