Please Read

I’m 17, and I’m new to this pitching forum thing and I think it’s pretty cool. I’ve been shy to post here but I’m having a problem so I said what the heck. I’m about 5’6 and 125 not very big at all but I have always had one of the stronger arms in my league. I pitch for my varsity team and all but for some reason every time I pitch a little my arm starts getting sore then it eventually gets sore. I don’t think I lack strength because despite my small size I can lift with guys much bigger than me. It really gets to me because it really makes me lose velocity but when my arm is fresh for that short period of time I can really bring it in there. I have pitched with a sore arm since about the beggining of high school. I Ice down after pitching and I do the things that It takes to recover. I just wish that my arm wouldn’t get sore! That would make me a much better player if I didn’t have soreness. I just feel like i’m not even near my potential because my arm is hampering me. Please post if you can help. Is it possible to not have a sore arm?!?!?!?!

PS my arm usually hurts from my forearm to my bicep

Thanks.

[quote=“Wooddell89”]I’m about 5’6 and 125 not very big at all but I have always had one of the stronger arms in my league. I pitch for my varsity team and all but for some reason every time I pitch a little why my arm gets sore. I don’t think I lack strength because despite my small size I can lift with guys much bigger than me. It really gets to me because it really makes me lose velocity but when my arm is fresh for that short period of time I can really bring it in there. I have pitched with a sore arm since about the beggining of high school. I Ice down after pitching and I do the things that I takes to recover. I just wish that my arm wouldn’t get sore and I would be even better than I am. I just feel like i’m not even near my potential because my arm is hampering me. Please post if you can help. Is it possible to not have a sore arm?!?!?!?!

PS my arm usually hurts from my forearm to my bicep[/quote]

This level of soreness is not typical.

It could indicate a mechanical problem or simple overuse.

Do you have a video of yourself throwing?

How often do you pitch, for how long each game, and how many times each week?

What pitches do you throw?

I usually pitch 4-5 innings but honeslty after the first inning my arm is throbbing. I went to the doctor and he told me it was tendonitis and to rest and ice of course and he gave me prescription NSAID (ibuprofin) for swelling. It hasn’t really helped. If I throw it still gets sore.

I throw Fastball, Knucklecurve, and circle change. Nothing to stressful.

BTW I get sore even when i throw from short to first during drills sometimes to :frowning: sometimes I just feel like there’s no cure to this problem…

So that means it’s your elbow, right? If I asked you to touch with your index finger the part of your arm that hurt the most, where would that be?

Based on your description, it could be a number of problems. Some (e.g. pitcher’s elbow) could heal themself given a couple months of rest and then be prevented with proper strength and conditioning exercises. Others may require medical treatment. For any of these types of problems, you really should see a doctor - preferably an orthopedist who is familiar with sports injuries.

You might also have a flaw in your mechanics that is causing the pain. If you can post a video of yourself pitching, a number of people here can evaluate it and give you feedback.

You’re right man, I live in a very rural area but still maybe i should go see an orthopedist.

I was browsing the internet. I have resistance bands like the rubber tubes but I came accross this training aid that’s a little different.

What do you think of maybe doing some exercises with this

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-rocket-arm-baseball-training-system--pi-1301431.html

Your description of your height, weight, pitching repotoire and that fact that you live in a rural area reminds of a kid we faced this year.

It sounds like you might have a serious problem with your arm. I’d get that looked at before you try to diagnose what is wrong. Just because your doctor said it was tendenitis does not mean that he is right. I had a trainer say that I “bruised” my knee, only to have an orthopedic surgeon tell me that I had tore the cartilidge on the interior.

Sometimes it’s worth it to go to the experts.

I don’t think it is major because it has always been sore down my whole arm. I’m going to get you guys a video sooner or later. If I rest for a like say 5 days it feels fine again. It doesn’t hurt so bad that I can’t throw but it usually is always sore.

Maybe the rocket arm system thing may help? Noone has tried it yet? What do you guys think?

to be safe get it checked out. Go to the ASMI sports medicine forum. Great site. tell them your problem and what city you live in. They are usually very good at directing people to qualified sports medicine doctors.

[quote=“Wooddell89”]You’re right man, I live in a very rural area but still maybe i should go see an orthopedist.

I was browsing the internet. I have resistance bands like the rubber tubes but I came accross this training aid that’s a little different.

What do you think of maybe doing some exercises with this

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-rocket-arm-baseball-training-system--pi-1301431.html[/quote]

It’s premature to worry about exercise. You need to find out what’s wrong first. Only then can exercise be incorporated into your recovery process - if and when appropriate per doctor’s orders.

I Had a bad problem with elbow and shoulder pain, then I read Chris o’learys web sight about Keeping elbows lower than the shoulders and loading. After trying it, it has helped alot. Thanks chris!

Ideally, the elbow should be on a level with the shoulder—maybe a bit lower, but never higher. One big problem with pitchers who throw over the top all the time is that the elbow is higher, which puts a strain on the arm as a whole. That’s one thing about being a sidearmer—which I was—is that the elbow is always on the same level as the shoulder, which takes a lot of pressure off said shoulder and arm. Perhaps you should look at your arm slot and see if making a change would help. 8)